Posted 20 November 2023

Laptop

My 18 year old son is looking for a laptop for college. What ram/storage should we be looking for? Used to be just a hard drive now there's ssd and I'm not sure what to look for. His budget is about £350 maybe a little more. Thanks
Community Updates
New Comment

7 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    hotukdeals.com/dea…252

This looks pretty good. 15.6 is a good screen size, especially for watching movies/YouTube or what have you, I doubt he would want any smaller than a 14" screen. 512GB SDD is again a good size, a lot around this price point have 256GB SDD's and when it comes to storage - the bigger number is always better. Same for the 8GB RAM but honestly you'd be very lucky to get bigger than 8GB on models going for around £300-£350.

I should point out I am not in any way a computer expert but I'm 40 and have bought about 5 or 6 laptops myself in my time. (edited)
    Hard drive = SSD = storage. Nothing has changed as such.
    both ram and storage requirements are based upon the software you will be using and the purpose for the laptop - photo/video editing needs more than simple word processing/spreadsheets
    Author
    It's for college work so essays, presentations and probably watching YouTube lol
    Author
    What processor minimum should I be looking at?
    What will be the typical uses?
's avatar