Posted 19 November 2023

laptop advice

Looking for a cheapish laptop 13 - 14inch just to do general word processing, spreadsheet and surfing. ideally up to about £300. Any pointers from our resident experts. Lots of options out there but just a bit confused as to what is important for me.
Community Updates
New Comment

10 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    shop around for an excellent condition refurb lenovo T480 from a reputable refurb company and you wont go wrong.
    Author
    Seen a T440 i7 with 256Gb and 8Gb RAM how would that be?
    Similar to the recommendation for the Lenovo T480 made by .... id recommend a used Dell Business laptop like the Dell Latitude 7490 or 7400....rather than a cheap spec 'new' laptop

Theyre 14 inch screen laptops at the higher end of the Dell Latitude range. Although they overlap quite a bit on specs (the 7490 is slightly earlier and cheaper) you should be able to pick up a laptop for around £150-200 with the following specs :-

- 1920 x 1080 screen (full hd)
    - i5 8265u or 8365u intel processor
    - 8 or 16gb ram (memory)
    256 or 512gb ssd storage

Ive bought quite a few of these over the past 18 months for friends and theyve all been good buys. If you get a good one its a lot of laptop for the money /lightweight and good for you want it for....

Just make sure you ask the seller to show you a screenshot of the battery health....if you start the laptop into the bios ...you will see a graphic of the battery health expressed as a %. The Higher the % the longer the battery will last you.

NB If you can wait till after Christmas the used prices may drop as well. (edited)
    Author
    Looks nice at the price, but comes up at over £300 for me?
's avatar