Unfortunately, this discussion is no longer valid
Posted 24 April 2014

Lastminiute.com's Secret Hotels Hack - How to find out which hotels the 'secret' ones are

I have used lastminute.com before and always avoided the secret hotels for fear they were in a bad location or not good hotels. Just planning a trip this weekend and I figured out how to find which hotels they are.

The trip advisor widget that they add to the secret hotels has the number of reviews but they hide it with CSS. All you need to do is show the number of reviews and you can easily match which hotel it is.

I wrote a cheeky little bookmarklet to make it easy.

javascript:(function(){var%20s=document.createElement('style');s.innerHTML=".product.topSecret%20.reviews{text-indent:0px!important;}";document.head.appendChild(s);})();

Just add it to a bookmark in your browser and you can click it once on a page with a secret hotel to reveal the number of reviews.

Here is an example:
lastminute.com/tri…rue

The secret hotel at the top in the link is the Sheraton Grand, but 30% off :). Hope this helps someone!

Update:

For those who are struggling this may make life easier.

go here:

jsfiddle.net/VGsAK/

On Chrome:
If your bookmark bar doesn’t show on Chrome, here’s how to activate it:
- use the Ctrl+Shift+B keyboard shortcut (Command+Shift+B for Mac users)
Then drag the 'Show reviews' to the bookmarks bar.

On Internet Explorer:
Right-click "Show reviews" link and select Add to Favorites.

On Firefox:
Right-click "Show reviews" link and save it as a bookmark.

Then browse lastminute.com's hotels and if you see a secret hotel you are interested in click the bookmark (in the bookmark bar or from the file menu) and the number of reviews for the secret hotel should be revealed.

Then it should be a fairly easy task to match the TripAdvisor score and review count with the non secret equivalent
Community Updates
New Comment

35 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    op I will just book mark you to do it for me

I wish I was not thick
    is your middle name sherlock?
    i might be missing something, but my browser already just shows how many reviews there are and that javascript thing does nothing for mine?
    Great.
    I'm not thick, just have a completely complimentary skill set, you find the cheap hotels and I am great at staying in them, eating the breakfasts etc. seriously though, what a great bit of deductive reasoning. Then to have the knowledge to write this bit of code. I wish HUKD had a 'smarty pants' badge. In a nice way, we could nominate you. Thank you.
    Thanks deadfish that works great and thanks everybody else for the 'idiots' guide (_;)
    if you did this instead:

javascript:void(var s=document.createElement('style');s.innerHTML=".product.topSecret .reviews{text-indent:0px!important;}";document.head.appendChild(s));

It should stop it redirecting to a white page
    Author
    Wow, I never expected such a response. Glad it was of help to some people.

For the people suffering the redirect problem this should do the trick:

javascript:(function(){%20var%20s=document.createElement('style');s.innerHTML=".product.topSecret%20.reviews{text-indent:0px!important;}";document.head.appendChild(s);})();
    Thanks for taking the time to share this info OP.
    brilliant!
    Brill
    I try to match the hotel by searching on the description, word for word, but they have obviously caught up with this one as it seldom works now. So thanks for this way of finding the hotel
    I don't know what im doing? I copied and tried to paste the above and save to a book mark but it wont :-(
    Great, cheers
    Any chance of an idiots guide for us idiots?? (_;)
    I got a blank white page with

"[object HTMLStyleElement]"

I'm obviously doing something wrong, but three bottles of Rekorderlig is making this difficult.

(I actually considered myself quite tech savvy, ha!)
    Nice! I only see the number for a split second though before Firefox takes me to a page saying: "[object HTMLStyleElement]"
    looks good - but I really need an idiots step-by-step guide to follow it!! cos I'm not getting the hotel coming up when I do it (call me thick!!) luv a good deal on hotels
    Pretty nice hack...
    good work
    asl9791

i might be missing something, but my browser already just shows how many … i might be missing something, but my browser already just shows how many reviews there are and that javascript thing does nothing for mine?

Once you see how many reviews there are, you need to check on tripadvisor and match the no of reviews and other details given on lastminute to find a matching hotel. It won't show you the Hotel name/details on Lastminute page.
    In IE9 - Probably Similar for others.

On your current webpage, click on favourites, then click on 'add to favourites bar'. You current page will be added to the top of your browser.

Now right click this, choose properties and paste in the below as the link to the URL
    javascript:var s=document.createElement('style');s.innerHTML=".product.topSecret .reviews{text-indent:0px!important;}";document.head.appendChild(s);
    and on the general tab, change the name to something like "Show#"

Now go to the lastminute link OP provided, look at the hotels listed as secret. The number of reviews are not displayed. Now click the link you added to your favourites bar. You will see that the number of reviews have been revealed.

Thanks OP! Having great fun already!

(edited)
    One more example.
    This is W hotel in Leicester Square
    lastminute.com/tri…ST1|POS1&numRooms=1&numNights=1&dest=LON&path=hotels&ac_country=GB&hotelRequestId=311517190811070

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g186338-d1718977-Reviews-W_London_Leicester_Square-London_England.html

Compare the no of reviews and other details.
    Will have to give this a go :-)
    I keep getting a message starting that urls cannot contain spaces when trying to save it. Any ideas ?
    asl9791

i might be missing something, but my browser already just shows how many … i might be missing something, but my browser already just shows how many reviews there are and that javascript thing does nothing for mine?

Yeah I get the same - although there are some secret hotels that don't and the javascript doesn't show them. Fantastic idea though - thanks to the OP.
    Cheers
    ...I'm an IT Manager at work for gods sake, and I still can't get this to work... I also can't see what people are doing when they 'copy and paste' the description, as all this seems to do is to bring up links to other 'secret hotels' for other travel websites...

Am I being particularly thick ?
    shady

...I'm an IT Manager at work for gods sake, and I still can't get this to … ...I'm an IT Manager at work for gods sake, and I still can't get this to work... I also can't see what people are doing when they 'copy and paste' the description, as all this seems to do is to bring up links to other 'secret hotels' for other travel websites...Am I being particularly thick ?

You're fired!
    Juicy
    Very nice - works fine on Chrome
    shady

...I'm an IT Manager at work for gods sake, and I still can't get this to … ...I'm an IT Manager at work for gods sake, and I still can't get this to work... I also can't see what people are doing when they 'copy and paste' the description, as all this seems to do is to bring up links to other 'secret hotels' for other travel websites...Am I being particularly thick ?

1) Bookmark the script
    2) Go to Last Minute and type in London as an example for todays date, 1 night
    3) Result should come up for "Outstanding Rates in stylish Chelsea *4". Notice next to the Tripadvisor rating there are no review counts
    4) Go to your bookmarks, click on the script
    5) Look at the Tripadvisor rating - there's now a review count
    I used the neighbourhood limiter in tripadvisor and description from secret escape over view too. Managed to find the hotel every time. Heat the Hottie
    (edited)
    Is there a way to make this work for Hotwire.com?
    Does this still work because it looks like they've mixed it up a bit and we might need to book several rooms?
    Same question here.... does this hack still work? I can't get it to work but that doesn't mean much
's avatar