Posted 2 days ago

Latest anti-virus etc

Hi all,

Just got myself a new Asus laptop with Windows 11 with McAfee LiveSafe installed.

My question is: what's the latest general set-up for antivirus and firewalls, etc? Does Windows 11 need antivirus and so forth? Is AVG still a thing?

I've been out of the loop for some time when it comes to this stuff.

Ta!
Community Updates
New Comment

11 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    I have no problem with McAfee but I only leave antivirus on & all the other settings off. Some of which you have to do manually.

Every other antivirus software I have had issues with, including the free stuff.

However, I have read many people saying you don't need anything other than what is built in to windows already.

I also use ccleaner & malwarebytes but they are totally immobilised & just use them once in a while to double check if my laptops or pcs are having an off day.
    I use absolutely nothing bar windows defender.. Of course, some people click on things they shouldn't. To me, anti virus is more of a resource / performance inhibitor than half the viruses..
    Windows 11 does it all. Uninstall any other junk.
    i use malwarebytes. get it free from my bank natwest but used to use the free version for manual scans. windows defender is a lot better these days. youtube your friend. one guy does a lot of comps. i'll try and find.

For many years I used to use various programs to cover all angles on this - that was until Windows built in programs became sufficient. I would say for the last 5-6 years I have used nothing else and never had one problem.

I often wonder who would need more and why? You must be visiting some dodgy websites and/or are a touch paranoid to need anything more than what is built in
    User interface.
    I've only ever used eset nod32. The best imo.
    Other notables are bitdefrnder and Kaspersky
    I only have questions - not answers!
    Why do people buy insecure OS?
    Why do hardware retailers feel it necessary to also sell with additional non-free AV software and why do people buy it?
    Why are the "baddies" always trying to beat the "goodies"? Is there really anything anyone can do to stop the "baddies"?
    Should we spend more effort/resource into protecting our data?
    Although, I suspect you know the answers, I'll reply:
    * All mainstream OSs are 'insecure'. "Buy" because they want compatibility with popular software and hardware.
    * Because the margins on computers for the manufacturer are very small, and people buy because it's easy and they know no better.
    * Seriously? Maybe not if really determined, but you can at least ensure you're not an easy target
    * Yes (edited)
    Ive used Norton and McAfee many years ago until they became resource hogs...progressing to Kaspersky (Russian) and now Bitdefender Family 15 pcs (Romanian).

Antivirus marketing is the same as VPN marketing .....full of affiliate links.

What I would say with whichever one you decide to go with is to not renew within the software or your account . Have a look on ebay to see if you can buy a activation code (from a reputable seller whos been around a while) as this will save you a lot of money.

So for the McAfee your laptop came installed with ...have a look at this (not sure what the difference is between LiveSafe and Total Security here)

ebay.co.uk/itm…153

Just to illustrate the point. Same seller seems to have taken over ebay .....also sells plenty of other brands
    I use McAfee Internet security, Just bought a new key (2 years sub) from Ebay for £6.99
    ebay.co.uk/itm…971
    Also run Malwarebytes Premium (Lifetime sub) alongside it. Can honestly say i've never had any problems with either. (edited)
's avatar