Posted 30 January 2024

Lost in post!

Hi. An elderly relative of mine recently sent me £50 cash in the post 1st class (bog standard way and not recorded obviously!). I've not received it and it's been over 2 weeks...is there anything we / I can do about this? Apart from accept the loss!
Community Updates
New Comment

38 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    It's almost like the banks need to invent a piece of paper that you enter the amount and sign.
    You can educate your elderly relatives about sending cash in the post via standard delivery.

Other than that it's most likely gone.
    Author
    It's all they know!
    i sent a letter from surrey to croydon first week of December, first class post, it didn't get delivered until 3 weeks later so it could still turn up!
    Author
    Shocking!!
    There is no " safe " way to send anything using any delivery method these days, all delivery services have a crook lurking somewhere.
    Next day special delivery is the only safe way to send cash in the post.
    It's probably at the bottom of a post bag, they've neglected/missed. Might turn up in couple of weeks, fingers crossed for you.
    Go to your local sorting office, it might just have been carded (not enough postage paid - some cards are large letter costing more) you may be lucky and have a fine to pay but item is sitting in the office for you.
    they would send the OP a letter to ask that he comes to collect the letter
    I'm afraid it's likely to be accept your loss especially if it wasn't sent via recorded or at least with a proof of postage. There is no way of proving to Royal Mail that it was ever sent.
    cash is not compensated for.
    paypal next time
    Author
    They wouldn't have a clue!
    Ask them to send a cheque next time?

But if sent normal post nothing you can do with Royal Mail. They could report it but will probably need proof of posting and only likely to get six stamps as compensation as the value couldn't be proved. Even if you can prove the value it is limited to £20 on standard post anyway.
    Retail Compensation Policy for Lost Items | Royal Mail Group Ltd

But also as above, might be worth checking with the sorting office. (edited)
    Allegedly
    We've had lots of issues with post in our area been delayed.

Finger crossed it turns up for you and it's just late
    Call up Royal Mail's customer service line and explain to them what's happened. It's very unlikely to be an issue with theft, but if it is, they will trace the item's journey through the network, and use other reports to catch whoever's responsible. What's far more likely is that the item was damaged by a machine or wasn't correctly addressed, and in either case, there's a chance that the letter and money may be recoverable.
    It was sent 1st class only, they won't be able to trace anything, quite possible its held up and will still come, but also very easy to steal with no ability to track who did it, an envelope with money in sticks out like a sore thumb for theives (edited)
    Unfortunately no, either give the money in person or via online transfer.
    As some have already mentioned you are not covered for cash in the post unless you use special delivery, and that just means wasting money (also not sure how u prove how much you sent).
    It may still turn up, but cash in an envelope is such an easy target for someone to steal. (edited)
's avatar