Posted 2 days ago

Morality of Ebay Users Opinions Wanted

So, we all know the score with business sellers that list used items as refurbished when they have done nothing to refurbish the item other than use a duster & a quick spray of Mr Sheen.

And the ones that resell mint condition used & returned items that are listed as "opened - never used"

I am after your opinions not on the above but for private sellers who list items as "opened - never used" to fetch a higher sale value that categorically have been used.

What would you do if you paid that little bit extra for a never used item but it turns out it has been & that the sellers has got that extra bit of money from your bank account?

For example, something like you bought an open never used DSLR camera & when you get it it looks mint but has a 1000 shutter count.

OR you buy a TV & it is also in mint condition but the seller has forgot to delete the apps they loaded on to it & you can see they have watched a few dozen films on it?

OR a laptop that has 6 months of internet history in the web browser?

What would you do? Try to resolve it with a partial refund? Send it back at the sellers expense? Leave negative feedback?

What would you do if they then tried to deny using it when you absolutely know that they did (and can prove that they did)?

Or, would you just move on & forget that someone just robbed you & got extra money because of dishonesty?

Personally, I would favour returning the item after a small accident but that might be going a bit too far.
Community Updates
New Comment

17 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    Drop them a message before buying it to confirm its never been used. Then hold them to it afterwards.
    I have sold genuine open box unused items on ebay and I do get some people asking me to confirm.
    It's understandable as there are people that lie.
    I have excellent and extensive feedback but am happy to confirm.
    I buy on the assumption that regardless of the seller's description, the item has been opened and well used, I won't pay over the odds for something that the seller can't categorically prove is unused.

I once received an item via ebay that was supposedly brand new and sealed, that was in a sealed plastic wrapper, but the heat sealing had clearly been a DIY job.
    This ^ Always assume worst case scenario and you'll never be disappointed. Based on this assumption, pay the price accordingly. I'm not agreeing with the seller practices, but it's not something you can stop, so you need to act accordingly.
    Depends what it is and how bad it is ....and how badly you want to keep it. If I wanted to keep it but it had lost some of its sparkle in my mind id probably just ask for a partial refund. If the seller said no I'd ask for a full refund.....
    Yeah, I have been scammed a few times. The most annoying was when I won the auction, paid in full (via PayPal) and the seller refused to dispatch as the postage cost was too much!?. I complained to ebay, the seller then argused that I hadn't paid - I did show ebay the PayPal reciept (this was in the years before the services where integrated), however they sided on the seller and I lost out. I did have the sellers address and I was going to pay him a visit, but I decided just to chalk i up to experience. Then ebay went and banned my account for not paying!
    ebay is getting very dodgy. I posted on reddit about the amount of bids I've won then the seller decided it wasnt the right price so relisted. Some of them keep relisting. Then there's bidders who dont pay, so inflate the bidding price. On top of this its loaded with fake stuff, I think its easier to spot them on amazon due to reviews.
    This is happening too frequently.

A few weeks back I won an auction for a network switch for £60 where the average buy it now price is £400. For 2 weeks seller kept saying they couldn’t find it. Eventually got a refund.
    Another switch averaging £800 has been sold three times over with only a single bid at £140, the average buy it now being £800.

Have to be very cautious the condition being stated and I only buy things off there where I’m not too bothered about the condition. (edited)
    Too many variables...

However, if the price was dodgy right and I wanted it then I'd be raising it and asking for a partial refund. At worst the seller will be paying for 2 lots of postage to send and return, then has to sell again. It also tells you a lot about their (lack of) integrity..

However, if you wanted a never used and that is a non-negotiable then your only option is a return..
    2 approaches based on the sellers response. I would be willing to work with them to find an agreed solution that seems fair, if they took their part in it seriously. I'm not out to fleece sellers - many are.

THEN there are those that you can tell from the off that they are trying to fleece you - these ones I would go to war with - do everything and anything I can legitimately to make them wish they hadn't.
    52546230-OTDj6.jpg
    This is the official ebay definition of each category, that I tend to go by.
    With some items, I might turn them on, to make sure they work. For example a drill I bought 12 months ago, didn't end up needing for a project, so been in a box. I would open/unseal the box, turn it on for a minute, change accessories etc. to make sure it actially works after storage. So that would be as new.
    If I 'test' it by drilling a hole then it would be used as will be covered in dust.

I have seen people selling clothes "as new" and stating they only worn it twice.

It is either people don't understand or read definition of category or trying to be smart.

You are covered by ebay protection so return and move on. (edited)
    For the drill, you say "as new", so which of the three definitions is that?

According to their wording, since you've opened it, it's no longer "new" but rather "new: other". (edited)
    Don’t use eBay, problem solved. 
    I've bought clothes and trainers in the past sold as new so seller gets a better price and then you receive items and you can see they have obviously used them a lot as they have bobbling and marks.
    that might potentially fall under defects category. I.e. if it is marks from manufacturer, basically seconds.
    but if have been worn then should be used.
's avatar