Posted 2 days ago

Need some clarity on copyright

In my hometown, there was some local history books published in the 1970s and 80s. The couple, who were local historians, have both passed away. They also published the books themselves. I'd like to reprint them as there is a calling for them but don't know who to ask for permission because they had no children either. I understand the copyright is valid for 70 years, I think, I just need some clarity. Is there an organisation I can ask for permission or not? Thank you.
Community Updates
New Comment

13 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    Intellectual Property OfficeIntellectual Property Office
    Explore
    The Intellectual Property Office (IPO) is the official UK government body responsible for intellectual property rights, including copyrights. You can contact them for any copyright-related queries:

Telephone: 0300 300 2000 (within the UK) or +44 (0)1633 814000 (outside the UK)
    Email: information@ipo.gov.uk
    Office Hours: Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm, excluding bank holidays
    For in-person meetings, you need to make an appointment, which can be arranged via email. Please note that the telephone lines are open during the office hours mentioned above1.

For general copyright enquiries, you can also email copyrightenquiries@ipo.gov.uk2. If you have any questions about other intellectual property rights like trade marks, designs, or patents, you should use the general contact email provided.
    This excellent website seems to help.

copyrightaid.co.uk/for…622

It would seem that copyright most likely passes to whomever is beneficiary of a will. Now without relatives this could be anyone, or even an organisation ( think Great Ormond Street and Peter Pan).

This government site allows you to search for the probate for someones estate as well as for wills

gov.uk/sea…ate

Please don't expose yourself to the financial risk that you could be exposed to by making a decision based on unskilled opinions from a deals website.......
    If they died within a copyright period then it passes to their heirs and everyone has an heir no matter how distant.

And I should imagine it wouldn't be a gamble as to what response you would get if they ever found out.
    Author
    Aye you're right Willy, that's why I'm trying to be 100%.
    Someone will know relatives who may be the heirs. Ask on relevant local history focussed Facebook pages or societies.
    Just scan them in and upload to Archive.org, then everyone can enjoy them.

That's why there's like 300 million ex-library books on there.

It's a local history book, not the Rolling Stones Definitive History or summat where they're gonna hunt you down.

Depends on your motive, is it financial or to keep memories alive and bring their work to a new audience. (edited)
    Surely the publishers are mentioned in the first few pages...

If not, then I would expect it's fair game for reproduction, especially if it's on a non-profit basis (edited)
    Published themselves as mentioned above
    I would guess, in the absence of identifiable heirs, the copyright is held by the executor of the estate so perhaps track down whoever that is.

My guess is a local law firm.
    70 years after the author's death, as per gov.uk/cop…sts
    I know of an author who writes historic books, he writes alot of books (hes an expert on several subjects and writes on the topic then publishes different books on that subject, he publishes them, gets them printed and sells them himself through his company and on various other platforms including amazon. He’s written hundreds of books (imagine writing on one subject then write books about that subject for different towns, counties, areas, regions and countries).
    He owns the rights to his books and the historical photos he uses, people who reproduce his work or intellectual rights must get his permission and he will defend those rights in court.
    I remember he told me of another legal case he was involved in where he was due to co-write another book with someone (still living), they worked on the book for a long time, they fell out over a few issues, he finished the book and sold it. The case ended up in court because the coauthor owned the rights to some of the images he used. Messy court case and very expensive.
    if you are republishing the books (especially for financial gain) I would consult with a copyrights lawyer, get an hours consultation with them (a few hundred pounds) to cover yourself and make sure what you are doing is legal under copyright law.
    I’m sure you’ve heard of cases of music copyright which ends up in court. Artist writes songs using similar chords/ arrangements (not the same but similar), ends up in court. The original artist can be living or dead, if there’s money to be had people will take you to court. It can go both ways, you can win or lose but will be expensive either way with lawyers/ court costs and time.
's avatar