Posted 3 September 2022

Nextdoor's Noisy plumbing pipes disturbing sleep. Terraced House

The wife's best friend has a problem

She lives in a terraced house.

The pipes make a noise when the heating / hot water is on.

e.g. it comes on at 5:57 each morning, so I assume that this is when the heating comes on.

However, it can occur at other times and has occurred over the summer when the heating would be turned off.

So it could be the hot water system.

It disturbs her sleep.

The house next door is rented out and an agency manages it for a landlord who lives in Australia.

It has got a lot worse over the last six months

The agency has not done anything about this.

Is there any legal action that could force them to sort this out?

She is getting quite upset about the disturbed sleep.

We had wondered if it be reasonable to offer to pay for a plumber to inspect the plumbing next door and fix the problem?

Would it be an expensive or cheap job to fix?
Community Updates
New Comment

8 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    Noise complaint to environmental health if you keep being ignored and landlord won't do anything.
    My neighbour's house suffers from water hammer but she's hard of hearing so she can't hear it
    I wish my friends would take on my problems - I've got loads.
    Author
    thats what friends are for
    Is there air in the system. Might need flushing
    Not tried it myself but apparently you can reduce water hammer by turning the stop cock off slightly. Worth a try and cost free.
    Has your friend spoken to the people next door about it or to the agency?
    Our neighbours had a new boiler put in, with an outlet pipe right outside our back door. Everytime the water turned on, we'd almost jump at the very loud gurgling noise it'd make. The thing is, neighbours were clueless. So I made a couple of videos in which I'm also talking explaining the issue... Only, when they played it back, I could hardly be heard. Anyway, cut a long story short, they had the plumber back and turns out he skipped the part of putting a noise dampener (or sommat to that effect) somewhere in the pipe.. cut a long story short. All was resolved.

Could this be it?
's avatar