Posted 4 January 2024

Passport Renewal and when can't you travel

Hi if my passport will be expiring in 6 months from today

When would be the latest I can't travel?
Presume next few months would be okay, right into 6 weeks left?
Community Updates
New Comment

Categories

31 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    It really depends on the destination - I have travelled on an expired passport before - only discovered it was expired when it was pointed out at the check in desk, I wouldn't recommend it though as they could refuse travel. Also note that some destinations require a minimum of 6 months left on your passport - it's known as the "6 month rule":
    visaguide.world/tip…le/
    I'd trust this man more than what stuff an Internet community may come out with....for the EU only... 51908783-Z4bxY.jpg (edited)
    I linked to a trust worthly web site, although I guess the best option is to visit the official passport page:
    gov.uk/bro…rts
    No idea why people don't renew their passports with about 8-9 months remaining.

I've seen hundreds of holiday makers being refused boarding and that included a couple going abroad to get married where the bride's passport had expired over 2 years ago and she blamed Covid (and not herself)! (edited)
    That should be a red flag for the groom.
    Take care - many variables.
    Depends on where you're going. Check out EU rules on 10 years from date of issue rather than the given expiry date if appropriate. Each destination can have it's own rules about how much you need left on your passport. Do your homework - don't 'presume' or rely on answers to vague questions asked to random strangers on a deals site.
    The papers regularly have a 'couple fall foul of little known rule' type stories presented with photos of glum people.
    It's potentially a lot of money to lose when they refuse you boarding.
    I suggest you renew it now.
    It may take couple of weeks.
    Don't wait until last minute
    Is there anything stopping you from renewing it now?
    Yes most likely they have a holiday booked
    I've travelled Europe with a month left......any further destinations I'd just get it renewed
    Travelled when? (edited)
's avatar