Posted 4 days ago

PayPal account hacked

Hi friend
On Saturday 20th April i had a email from PayPal saying a payment has been made to justeat so i went on my banking app to check (thinking it might be a mistake) but payment also was showing pending on my bank account as well while I was looking at my account i saw another payment made to justeat and received email from PayPal as well.
I couldn't think anything else so quickly removed my bank card from PayPal to prevent further payments.
I called PayPal they told me change my password and they said they will investigate and refund the money but now they keep saying there's no unauthorised use of my account and refusing to refund me .
Anyone had this experience? Any advice to get my money back.
Community Updates
New Comment

22 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    I know it is not going to help but I always remove payment methods from Uber & Just Eat etc. as soon as I have paid for anything from them.

I also look at the preauthorisation payments on paypal & remove the companies that have partial access.

paypal.com/mya…ay/
    Just checked this on my account and there were quite a few in there so thank you for that I've removed the authorisation on all but one I know is still in use
    Change password....you must have same password....from another website...data breach from another account. (edited)
    Two step verification is the way forward.
    I remember reading an article about some girl who ran up hundreds on her brothers uber account because he logged into her phone to buy something and when she ordered stuff she thought it was free as she wasn't getting charged
    Aaah, the Sibling Sister Scam
    You should use an authenticator app on your phone like Microsoft Authenticator then this may prevent things like this from happening on your various accounts on sites etc. (edited)
    Good shout. Somehow forgot to do PayPal
    Similar issue except was a family and friends payment to someone in America. 2 of the 5 transactiwent through. I raised a dispute and they said no sign of unauthorised access. I demanded they look into it again and then I got refunded.
    Have you setup Two-factor authentication now?
    You didn't mention whether you actually have a Justeat account and if you have done anything with that? if you do then that's the first place I'd be looking, JustEat account with stored Paypal creds that's been hacked rather than your Paypal account
    Author
    I have justeat account but order wasn't made from my account
    Someone once paid for a £900 holiday on mine....
    Did you go?
's avatar