Posted 14 hours ago

PC upgrade advice

Hi,
Current setup is Corsair 4000D airflow / Corsair TX550M / B550M Mortar / Ryzen 5 3600 / RTX3060Ti / 2*8GB Viper 3200mhz / 2*1TB MX500 SSD. After moving setup to living room to play in 4k on my LG C1, been looking at upgrading GPU for a little while, and pulled the trigger on the RX 7900 XTX (with current deal at £770, obviously a lot of money, but felt like better "value" vs Nvidia).

Because of that exciting/stupid purchase, need to upgrade other parts... PSU is the obvious one before I even open the GPU's box. My question is on the rest (and primarily mobo / CPU): would you think I'm ok to keep as is for the time being (unbalanced setup but can get the job done for a while)? Opinions on upgrading CPU only? both mobo and CPUs (get AM5 and upgrade to DDR5 RAM)? switch from SSD to NVME?

I can convince myself to allocate budget to a full upgrade (if so would use all existing parts for a secondary build exclusively for sim racing rig). I built my current setup but really no expert on PC specs/trends, so looking for opinions / recommendations.

Thanks
Community Updates
New Comment

Categories

14 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    Your previous setup is going to limot your gou, get 7800x3d, b650 motherboard and over 6000mhz ddr5, id also get a gen4 nvme and use your ssd as a second drive for storage.
    Going to cost you around £700 for decent parts though, i guess the gpu was an impulsive purchase (edited)
    To match the rx 7900xt, you probably need to spend another £750...
    Well if you are going to do it eventually anyways then why not just use what you have for now while looking, yeh of course you will limit yourself in some ways but it will still be good. You will bottleneck but so what, and if it's really bad then you just do your upgrade sooner.

You are practically on the verge of upgrading anyways so why not just stick your new gpu into your current rig, see how it runs then decide if you want to. I did that when I bought my 3070. I had a pretty old i5 and it was ok but in the end I decided to do a full upgrade just because I wanted to but it was in no way bad with what I currently had.

I say do it, then if you still want to upgrade you can, at any pace you want. I'm waiting to see what the next gen cpu's bring at the end of the year before upgrading again.
    R5 3600 bottleneck GPU too much.
's avatar