Posted 16 October 2020

Philips Ambilight Freesat - CURRYS FALSE ADVERTISING FREESAT ON THEIR TVs...

Hi, hoping someone can help.
Just installed our TV to the satellite dish to use Freesat function. It's installed 700+ channels (many unavailable) and they are in no useful order, also not showing any channel icons. I've followed all the instructions I can find to get the option to create a 'Favourite channels' list but the option just isn't there in the menu. So right now the function is pretty useless and we've had to plug the old Sky box back in.
Can anyone help please?
Community Updates
New Comment

46 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    The other thing that springs to mind from my electrical installation days is that some options only become available if you're in the right "menu" - i.e. the Freeview menu may differ from the Freesat one. Saying that, you would expect "Favourites" to be present in both menus? Bit stumped, I'm afraid...

Isn't technology wonderful. Frustrating as hell - but wonderful! (edited)
    Author
    Phsycronix21/10/2020 14:31

Do bear in mind that it won't be in the "main" menu - but a sub-menu after …Do bear in mind that it won't be in the "main" menu - but a sub-menu after you have pressed the sequence of buttons (step 2 & 3) above. Then, other "options" may then be available for selection. Many newer Tv's have so many options that they are buried in sub-menus.Sorry if I sound condescending but I have no idea of your 'technical' level. You could be mega clued up - or you could be like my Mum who sometimes needs help to turn something on! Hehe.

That made me laugh.
    I'm not a complete tech idiot but not mega clued up either.I got that menu from following the instructions, after choosing Satellite from the source so I should be in the right mode and everything happens as stated, except from favourites not being in the list.
    Tis very odd and a little frustrating, but things are never as simple as they seem... also considering that I did but the TV in 2020, what could possibly go wrong
    Author
    Phsycronix21/10/2020 14:59

I can't read through it all but there's a dedicated thread on AVF. Among …I can't read through it all but there's a dedicated thread on AVF. Among it was this:https://www.avforums.com/threads/cannot-create-favorites-list-55pus7334.2317867/Different model but might be of interest.

Brilliant thanks I'll have a read
    Author
    tyke21/10/2020 17:59

As I said over on the other thread you posted on, I don't believe these …As I said over on the other thread you posted on, I don't believe these TVs have the Freesat UI and I think it's an error on the Curry's website.

I've contacted Currys for help, so will let you know what they can tell me. Thanks
    Author
    tyke08/11/2020 10:08

Hi, what did Curry's say about whether the tv had Freesat or not?

I contacted them via Messenger they looked into the manual but couldn't help, so they have advised I call the know how team or they've given me a link to run trouble shooting with Currys, I've just not got around to either yet.
    To add,

If everyone contacts Philips about this loss of feature, they'll have to do something about returning it. As the favourite feature's within their details of the TV, as selling feature as you mentioned Haylhoo. If that feature's not available, then it means they're false advertising & can be reported to trading standards.
    Haylhoo16/11/2020 16:16

I mentioned in my OP that the TV was advertised by Currys as including …I mentioned in my OP that the TV was advertised by Currys as including Freesat so this is the issue I have with them, I bought it with that in mind. So I'll see what they have to say about supplying me with a Freesat box, which we would be happy with. It seems to be false advertising on their part even if it was an error in the info so I won't let it drop.

Ah I see your model's different to mine, I've got the Philips 58PUS8505/12 TV & it doesn't mention Freesat in specs - it only says satellite connector. I checked your model of TV too on Philips website, there's no mention of Freeview or Freesat in the specs of both our models of TV. So I've no idea where Curry's got that info from, as all makes of TV have Freesat OR Freeview installed - never BOTH at the same time.

Good luck with getting a Freesat box from Curry's though, seeing as it appears a misrepresenation on their behalf caused the confusion.
    Mind looking at your model of TV on the Curry's site, it does only show the FreeviewPlay logo beside the picture of the TV. Strange how they put Freesat in the specs, because no Philips TV model has Freesat installed.
    Haylhoo04/12/2020 11:11

Just to update, Currys are being an absolute nightmare with many calls and …Just to update, Currys are being an absolute nightmare with many calls and hours later speaking to various people in various teams. Different story with everyone I speak to and never a call back. I spoke to a guy this morning who promises to help me with a call back on a decision and his extension number, but as a backup I've now contacted trading standards for advice as Currys customer services are pretty much useless.I had a guy in the tech team arguing with me this morning that the advertising is clear that it is not built in, the TV is compatible and you have to buy the Freesat box (no mention of this in the hardware section and nothing anywhere on the website saying that TV Tuner: Freesat HD = compatibility only. I also asked him if that was the case for every other TV of any brand advertised the same in the Currys website, of which there are many, and his answer was yes they don't have it built it .

Try looking again on your TV, it appears the favourites option on my model TV has returned & I didn't even realise it! I have now created a list of favs, might have been a silent update in the background & Philips have caved in to demand.
    Haylhoo10/12/2020 14:24

Cheers I'll check as I gave up.Currys gave me a partial refund of the TV …Cheers I'll check as I gave up.Currys gave me a partial refund of the TV in the end toward a Freesat box after many calls and many promises of call backs that never came which were supposed to help me with getting a box sent out.

It should be back, hopefully & good luck with trying to take on these corporate clowns.
    These tv’s don’t have freesat. End of
    That's because these TVs don't have Freesat! They receive and display satellite channels, but they don't have the Freesat user interface.
    Author
    tyke21/10/2020 13:20

That's because these TVs don't have Freesat! They receive and display …That's because these TVs don't have Freesat! They receive and display satellite channels, but they don't have the Freesat user interface.

This is mine, it has Freesat and Freeview.
    In the TV's setup instructions it shows me how to create a favourites list but when I do it the option isn't there

currys.co.uk/gbu…tml
    Haylhoo21/10/2020 13:26

This is mine, it has Freesat and Freeview.In the TV's setup instructions …This is mine, it has Freesat and Freeview.In the TV's setup instructions it shows me how to create a favourites list but when I do it the option isn't therehttps://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/tv-and-home-entertainment/televisions/televisions/philips-58pus9005-12-58-smart-4k-ultra-hd-hdr-led-tv-with-google-assistant-10207671-pdt.html

How odd? It does appear that the model in question is Freesat tuner enabled. Have you tried Curry's helpline? Not the same; I know; but when I had an issue with a fridge, they were very helpful.

The only other thing I can think of is that sometimes the manual covers several variations of a particular model. There isn't anything like an asterisk that says something like "Only on model xxxx" ? If I can find the manual online I'll take a look but it sounds as if you've covered that already.
    Author
    Phsycronix21/10/2020 13:58

How odd? It does appear that the model in question is Freesat tuner …How odd? It does appear that the model in question is Freesat tuner enabled. Have you tried Curry's helpline? Not the same; I know; but when I had an issue with a fridge, they were very helpful.The only other thing I can think of is that sometimes the manual covers several variations of a particular model. There isn't anything like an asterisk that says something like "Only on model xxxx" ? If I can find the manual online I'll take a look but it sounds as if you've covered that already.

Thanks. The TV has a setup instructions thing in the TV menu, I've not seen anything that says about different models, it's just there.
    Perhaps I'll drop Currys a line as suggested.
    Thanks
    Reading the manual, it's section 5.5.

I take it it's the "Create Favourites List" that you don't have in the "Options" menu?

42286483-EZpcf.jpg
    Author
    Phsycronix21/10/2020 14:14

Reading the manual, it's section 5.5.I take it it's the "Create Favourites …Reading the manual, it's section 5.5.I take it it's the "Create Favourites List" that you don't have in the "Options" menu?[Image]

Correct, the option is missing

42286539-kWGVw.jpg
    Don't know why it's sideways sorry
    Are you sure your dish is pointing at the right satellite? If you previously used sky then you get freesat from sky. This is different to the actual freesat satellite
    Haylhoo21/10/2020 14:21

Correct, the option is missing[Image] Don't know why it's sideways sorry

Do bear in mind that it won't be in the "main" menu - but a sub-menu after you have pressed the sequence of buttons (step 2 & 3) above. Then, other "options" may then be available for selection. Many newer Tv's have so many options that they are buried in sub-menus.

Sorry if I sound condescending but I have no idea of your 'technical' level. You could be mega clued up - or you could be like my Mum who sometimes needs help to turn something on! Hehe.
    Author
    Oh Christ how would i find that out?
    It was a sky dish used with the box. It says it's using satellite Astra 28.2e whatever that means 🤷
    Having a "Google" and looking at similar issues, they all sound the same. It involves just being on any channel - then press "Ok" and then "+ Options" and highlight "Create Favourites List" - then "Ok."

Could be an initial setup issue that is making this particular option unavailable. Some talk on AVForums of a similar ilk which suggests regional issues when tuning/installing channels but; to be honest; if you have channels stored then I would have expected the menu option to be there. Perhaps; if no joy from Curry's; pose the question on there?

avforums.com
    Another thing to consider is that some manuals have been known to have been printed incorrectly. I know - bit of a stretch, I agree.

I do notice that your remote has a "List" button. What happens if you press "List" and then the "+ Options" button? Might bring up something to do with favourites?
    Author
    Phsycronix21/10/2020 14:54

Another thing to consider is that some manuals have been known to have …Another thing to consider is that some manuals have been known to have been printed incorrectly. I know - bit of a stretch, I agree.I do notice that your remote has a "List" button. What happens if you press "List" and then the "+ Options" button? Might bring up something to do with favourites?

42286826-gvhou.jpg
    I can't read through it all but there's a dedicated thread on AVF. Among it was this:

avforums.com/thr…67/

Different model but might be of interest.
    Haylhoo21/10/2020 15:09

Brilliant thanks I'll have a read

It does sound like a more widespread issue for many Philips customers. Plenty similar questions from other members - albeit differing models. A hasty read through suggests it is a 'recognised' problem by Philips and they are investigating. Sounds like it's related to some sort of regional programming issue. Somewhere, I noticed that if a certain option is set to "Uk" it wipes "Lists" and disables the "Favourites" option.

Sorry but it looks as if it's going to be a waiting game to see if a firmware update fixes the issue. As I said previously - technology, eh?
    Author
    Phsycronix21/10/2020 15:13

It does sound like a more widespread issue for many Philips customers. …It does sound like a more widespread issue for many Philips customers. Plenty similar questions from other members - albeit differing models. A hasty read through suggests it is a 'recognised' problem by Philips and they are investigating. Sounds like it's related to some sort of regional programming issue. Somewhere, I noticed that if a certain option is set to "Uk" it wipes "Lists" and disables the "Favourites" option.Sorry but it looks as if it's going to be a waiting game to see if a firmware update fixes the issue. As I said previously - technology, eh?

Thanks for all your help. I'll update if I manage to find a fix
    Haylhoo21/10/2020 13:26

This is mine, it has Freesat and Freeview.In the TV's setup instructions …This is mine, it has Freesat and Freeview.In the TV's setup instructions it shows me how to create a favourites list but when I do it the option isn't therehttps://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/tv-and-home-entertainment/televisions/televisions/philips-58pus9005-12-58-smart-4k-ultra-hd-hdr-led-tv-with-google-assistant-10207671-pdt.html

As I said over on the other thread you posted on, I don't believe these TVs have the Freesat UI and I think it's an error on the Curry's website.
    Haylhoo23/10/2020 15:42

I've contacted Currys for help, so will let you know what they can tell …I've contacted Currys for help, so will let you know what they can tell me. Thanks

Hi, what did Curry's say about whether the tv had Freesat or not?
    Haylhoo13/11/2020 09:51

I contacted them via Messenger they looked into the manual but couldn't …I contacted them via Messenger they looked into the manual but couldn't help, so they have advised I call the know how team or they've given me a link to run trouble shooting with Currys, I've just not got around to either yet.

I read on another thread that Curry's had admitted it was a mistake and that it definitely doesn't have Freesat, but can't remember where I saw it.
    Author
    tyke13/11/2020 10:38

I read on another thread that Curry's had admitted it was a mistake and …I read on another thread that Curry's had admitted it was a mistake and that it definitely doesn't have Freesat, but can't remember where I saw it.

Oh really. Well no mention of this in my conversations. If you do happen to stumble across it again I'd be grateful if you could let me know please. Thanks
    Haylhoo13/11/2020 14:51

Oh really. Well no mention of this in my conversations. If you do happen …Oh really. Well no mention of this in my conversations. If you do happen to stumble across it again I'd be grateful if you could let me know please. Thanks

Will do
    I'm getting the same issue, though I did have the favourites option BEFORE I did a full factory install of the same model. Google Assistant stopped working, so I had to do a factory reset & lost all my preferences/apps I installed. I was advised to contact Philips via this link...

tpvcrmplus.force.com/Phi…_US

No chat agents available yet, there's also Philips Facebook page to message. It's so infuriating, because I've followed all the advice via the help section as yourself.

facebook.com/Phi…UK/ (edited)
    Author
    deleted260132316/11/2020 11:16

I'm getting the same issue, though I did have the favourites option BEFORE …I'm getting the same issue, though I did have the favourites option BEFORE I did a full factory install of the same model. Google Assistant stopped working, so I had to do a factory reset & lost all my preferences/apps I installed. I was advised to contact Philips via this link...https://tpvcrmplus.force.com/PhilipsTVAudioMonitorConsumerCare/s/chatliveagent-gb?language=en_USNo chat agents available yet, there's also Philips Facebook page to message. It's so infuriating, because I've followed all the advice via the help section as yourself. https://www.facebook.com/PhilipsTVUK/

I've contacted Currys via a Chat and requested they supply me with a Freesat box so that the TV has the function as advertised, and it was one of the functions we selected that particular TV for. We don't want them changing the TV as it's all wired in plus we really like it apart from this issue. With any luck they'll comply, I don't think it's too much to ask as the TV info was their error if the function doesn't intact exist. I'll post when I get any response to this.
    Haylhoo16/11/2020 11:43

I've contacted Currys via a Chat and requested they supply me with a …I've contacted Currys via a Chat and requested they supply me with a Freesat box so that the TV has the function as advertised, and it was one of the functions we selected that particular TV for. We don't want them changing the TV as it's all wired in plus we really like it apart from this issue. With any luck they'll comply, I don't think it's too much to ask as the TV info was their error if the function doesn't intact exist. I'll post when I get any response to this.

Further to my post, I found out the favourite feature was removed from the newest update & has something to do with the Freeview function installed. This is the info I followed from a poster, the favourite option returned - but the ITV Hub app doesn't work as they stated. This can be got around though, if you cast the ITV Hub app from your phone or via the webpage.

"The Favourites option has been disabled in the latest firmware because of some kind of certification problem with Freeview Play. You'll probably find your current favourites list(s) is deleted soon and you'll lose the option altogether - this is what happened to me.

You can get the Favourites list (and a PiP option) back if you reset the TV and during setup set the language to English and the location to 'Other' which will disable all the Freeview Play features.

This means you'll lose BBC iPlayer and All4, but ITV Hub and My5 remain available. It also means you'll get a faster Android TV because it seems the Freeview Play crap was slowing it all down a bit. Personally I don't miss the Play stuff (I just use a Fire Stick to get BBC iPlayer) and I'm enjoying a nippier and more bug-free TV than I had before.

You can always reverse the procedure if it doesn't work for you - just be aware you have to fully reset and rescan for all the available channels each time, so it takes a little while."
    Author
    deleted260132316/11/2020 14:20

Further to my post, I found out the favourite feature was removed from the …Further to my post, I found out the favourite feature was removed from the newest update & has something to do with the Freeview function installed. This is the info I followed from a poster, the favourite option returned - but the ITV Hub app doesn't work as they stated. This can be got around though, if you cast the ITV Hub app from your phone or via the webpage."The Favourites option has been disabled in the latest firmware because of some kind of certification problem with Freeview Play. You'll probably find your current favourites list(s) is deleted soon and you'll lose the option altogether - this is what happened to me.You can get the Favourites list (and a PiP option) back if you reset the TV and during setup set the language to English and the location to 'Other' which will disable all the Freeview Play features.This means you'll lose BBC iPlayer and All4, but ITV Hub and My5 remain available. It also means you'll get a faster Android TV because it seems the Freeview Play crap was slowing it all down a bit. Personally I don't miss the Play stuff (I just use a Fire Stick to get BBC iPlayer) and I'm enjoying a nippier and more bug-free TV than I had before.You can always reverse the procedure if it doesn't work for you - just be aware you have to fully reset and rescan for all the available channels each time, so it takes a little while."

Thanks. This mentions Freeview, but I'm looking at Freesat - does this issue relate to both?
    I don't want to lose the apps as I use them and smart TV functionality is another reason for choosing this TV.

No response from Currys yet...
    Haylhoo16/11/2020 15:50

Thanks. This mentions Freeview, but I'm looking at Freesat - does this …Thanks. This mentions Freeview, but I'm looking at Freesat - does this issue relate to both?I don't want to lose the apps as I use them and smart TV functionality is another reason for choosing this TV.No response from Currys yet...

The make of Philips doesn't have Freesat built in, only the facility to pick up satellite channels. Freeview's built into the TV though, but when installing the TV you must choose UK & region UK to access it. That's when Freeview kicks in, but choosing "Other" rather then "UK" for region blocks Freeview access. Hence the favourites option returns, because the UK update for the TV deleted the favourite channel choice. A pain in the backside I know, but as I said - Freesat was never available on Philips only Freeview.

With Chromecast built in though, it's easy enough to cast all local TV apps like ITV Hub, My 5, BBC iPlayer, All 4 etc. Until Philips decides to bring the favourite channel option back in an update, there's only the way I suggested to bring it back.
    As you only want satellite it seems though Haylhoo, I would do a factory install & follow the instructions above. You'll be able to install satellite channels, then put them all into a favourite category again. As you don't use Freeview, that would seem the logical thing to do - until Philips updates their software to how it was before.
    Author
    deleted260132316/11/2020 16:05

The make of Philips doesn't have Freesat built in, only the facility to pic …The make of Philips doesn't have Freesat built in, only the facility to pick up satellite channels. Freeview's built into the TV though, but when installing the TV you must choose UK & region UK to access it. That's when Freeview kicks in, but choosing "Other" rather then "UK" for region blocks Freeview access. Hence the favourites option returns, because the UK update for the TV deleted the favourite channel choice. A pain in the backside I know, but as I said - Freesat was never available on Philips only Freeview. With Chromecast built in though, it's easy enough to cast all local TV apps like ITV Hub, My 5, BBC iPlayer, All 4 etc. Until Philips decides to bring the favourite channel option back in an update, there's only the way I suggested to bring it back.

I mentioned in my OP that the TV was advertised by Currys as including Freesat so this is the issue I have with them, I bought it with that in mind. So I'll see what they have to say about supplying me with a Freesat box, which we would be happy with. It seems to be false advertising on their part even if it was an error in the info so I won't let it drop.
    Author
    Hi all. I'm on the phone to Currys Knowhow team now and the chap is looking into it for me. I've explained that as the TV has sky connection but not Freesat functionality it is in fact falsely advertised. I'm not sure how this is going to go. Any words to better explain this is they refuse the Freesat box in asking for, or is that pretty much the crux of it? Cheers
    He's currently talking to another team who he's pushing my case with to get a Freesat box supplied 🤞
    (edited)
's avatar