Posted 1 day ago

PIP Phone assessment

Hi All

After some advice/help for first initial phone appointment after PIP claim was submitted, type of questions will be asked? How best to answer and subsequently claim is successful? Any advice/info will be much appreciated, thanks in adv
Community Updates
New Comment

34 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    If you cannot do something safely, in an acceptable manner, in a reasonable time, or repeatedly for more that 50% of the time you should score points.

Above is the whole problem with PIP (imo!) its all about the interviewe/assesser's opinion to what they think you can do (and then score you in their opinion) regarding: safely, acceptable, resonable, repeatedly in approx 40 mins!

Ive suffered encephalitis (brain damage/infection) and I got scored nil points after a 2hrs delayed PIP interview (by an replacement assesser who did not know what encephalitis was! as the original assesser phoned in sick!)

I was on DLA for life previously

Consequently I have given up on even trying to appeal/claim PIP as I cannot deal with the impact of going through all that pressure again!

This is just a warning to what what can happen if your illness is unusual!

If you are entitled you deserve it!
    So you let them win.
    NEVER, NEVER GIVE UP.
    You are at war.

I’ve helped 5 people with ESA, child’s DLA & PiP
    3 tribunals, mandatory reconsideration etc. Winning 5-0 so far.
    You are at war, keep every bit of paper, copies of any letter you send or form.
    One case was easy at tribunal, were found able to walk unaided by the assessor.
    As they only have one leg the judge was dumbfounded.
    We were in the court room for 60 seconds max.
    It a hateful system.
    But it’s a we have.

Bite the bullet and fight them for what you deserve.
    Hopefully theOP has kept a copy of the form submitted?

Look at it again and in particular the descriptors. These, and only these are how you are scored. So pick which one you think applies to you and your answer should be based on that.

Remember to emphasis if you have pain, fatigue or side effects from medication and say how they actually affect you.

If you cannot do something safely, in an acceptable manner, in a reasonable time, or repeatedly for more that 50% of the time you should score points.

Never underestimate how your conditions affect you. But never lie. The questions usually begin with basis like name and address etc…. move on to how you live and who with, hobbies etc…. work or work history.

They don’t usually go thru the form in the same order as the questions so take your time, ask them which bit they are referring to if you don’t know.

Dont let them skip over anything you are trying to tell them even if they say they will come back to it. Politely but firmly insist on finishing so you and they don’t forget.

Don’t get sarky or snappy etc… despite the questions. Take a deep breath, 
    ask for time or a break if you need it. Don’t worry about being tearful etc… do t be embarrassed about anything as they’ve heard it all and you are just a voice.

Good luck. (edited)
    Answer honestly and that way you’ll get what you’re entitled to. 
    Being honest, doesn't mean they will get what they would be entitled to. like house insurance where you can be honest and they still will look for every way to get out of paying you.
    Record your call
    Screw what they say about it. They are ringing you, and you can bet they are recording. You need it because of your short term memory.
    Ask them WELL IN ADVANCE, IN WRITING to record the call their end. You will likely get CDs in the post
    Remember that you don't have good days, but days that are not as bad as some.
    Don't let your pride or ego get in the way. If it is difficult to do something, say so. It will be assumed if you have no complaint then you have no problem.
    If part of your problem is embarrassing, say it anyway. You will not be the first person who has lost bowel control (example) in public. Do not consider whether or not it embarrasses them. They took that job, and they are supposed to be medical professionals.
    Ask what field is your "healthcare professional" qualified in. A friend of mine had mental issues, and was assessed by a podiatrist. I had a brain tumour, spinal issues, and a whole list of others, and was seen by a paramedic.
    No matter your frustration, DO NOT SWEAR. They will terminate without a second thought. It is their job to frustrate you into giving up, or dropping your guard and saying something is perhaps not as bad as you first thought.
    It may or may not still exist, but they used to get a bonus for every person they could get out of the scheme. In other words they don't want to help you. DWP rarely differs from the opinion or report made by these 3rd party companies. (edited)
    Not my recollection of a PIP assessor, regarding the frustration part.

Also I can assure you there is no bonus for 'getting claiments out of the scheme'.
    If you opted not to do the paper assessment, I would do so regardless as that’s basically the basis for most of the questions they will ask you:

newcastle.gov.uk/sites/default/files/Swansea-Council-Guide-to-completing-PIP2-June2020.pdf

There’s a ton of guidance online, some in very detailed documents and others in more broad, accessible/easy-to-digest formats. Just google “pip phone assessment guidance filetype;pdf” (replace ; with : .)and have a browse of what’s out there. (edited)
    You should know all the answers already.

Just write them all down so you don't miss any on the call.
    They will chip away at what you put on the form.... So be alert and have a copy handy (you DID keep a copy ?)
    They are monitoring you the instant the phone is answered (even when in the queue)
    Be aware that ALL chitchat is used against you - they are incentivised to deny you points.
    It sounds grim, and it can be - so stick to the plot , but be on guard.
    That's just not true about incentivised about denying you points. 100% untrue
    Get the form so you will know also they do a points system which they score you on.
    Can't comment on the type of questions they'll ask because you haven't said what the disability is . Obviously if it's physical then it will be totally different questions to someone with mental health issues.

Try to focus on how difficult it is on a bad day . They will ask several times about your good days. But be honest if you don't have any then emphasise that .
    just stick to the bad, never even mention good

if you use a stick to walk, you use it all the time (just be sure, to use it all the time)
    Just a heads up you will be denied for pretty much every medical condition so long as you can walk and talk, this is normal but after appealing and being denied again you'll finally get it at tribunal if you're entitled to it.
    The assessors literally turn everyone down currently its a joke unless you're physically disabled, the assessors dont have the intelligence or medical experience to be doing their job (edited)
    I'm on both, how high is my nose supposed to be
    From memory the answers are A, B, B , A to the first set of questions, i think the 2nd was 'the winner takes it all'

Being honest is your best bet as if they sense any lies/bending of the truth, they will be all over you
    Well insurance companies use lie detectors when people ring up to make a claim so I wouldn't be surprised if the DWP are using them as well now for benefit claimants.

'If you tell the truth, you don't have to remember anything' ~ Mark Twain
    News
    Lie detectors installed at Jobcentre Plus offices
    PUBLISHED: 05 MARCH 20087 February 2008
    Lie detectors have now been installed in five Jobcentres and one DWP call centre.

Initially, 1,250 claimants will be subjected to the new Advanced Validation System. Those who are identified as potential fraudsters will then be subjected to 'corroboration interviews'.

The lie detectors, based on technology developed by Mossad for use against Palestinian terrorists, went live on 28 January in the Lincoln Contact Centre and five Jobcentres in the Nottinghamshire district. They will be used for three months on people making new and repeat claims for income support and jobseeker's allowance. Where the lie detection software indicates 'at risk' cases, claimants will be ordered to attend 'corroboration interviews' to establish if the software can effectively identify possible fraud cases.

If the trials are successful lie detection software will be rolled out at all DWP call centres and Jobcentre Plus offices across the UK.

Meanwhile, Harrow Council claims that its use of the same technology has saved it more than £336,000 in housing and council tax benefit in the first seven months of a pilot scheme. The council claims that of 998 people assessed, 119 were identified as high risk and, of these, 43 were found to have been wrongly paid benefit.

Multinational Capita stand to make many millions of pounds in profit if the new system is adopted nationally by the DWP and local authorities..
    Don't be surprised if Richi Sunak makes the call personally.
    To be fair to the Tories, the benefits bill and how generous the system is is at a record high and is horrendous amount of burden to the tax payer.

We think of the Tories being unhelpful to people in need, but if you look at the last 10 years through covid and the cost of living crisis and now the benefits system being the most generous it's ever been, we have to ask ourselves, who is actually more left..

I think people are in for a shock when the government changes in the next 12 months.
's avatar