Posted 13 December 2023

Powerline adapters

Hi I got a pair of TP link (TL-PA4010P KIT) power line adapters. If I buy the same pair can I extend the network? I got one connected to the router and the new one can connect through the one connected with the router? Thanks
Community Updates
New Comment

7 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    Any powerline adapter will be interoperable - you just pair them up once you plug them in. I have a drawer full of different ones I used to use prior to going full ethernet and mesh.
    Only thing to add to this is if you get ones of a slower standard, they will all downgrade to the lowest standard in your powerline network. So not the wisest to buy super cheap ones to add to your network if the rest of the adaptors you’re using are all of a high and modern standard.
    I think Power line adapters have to be on the same ring main for them to work in case you didn’t already know.
    So long as they go back to the same consumer unit they will be fine.
    As ICrazyCarrots says, they have to be on the same ring circuit. And not using extension leads.
    They don't have to be on the same ring.
    I have been able to use my tp link on an extension, but it is not recommended.
    There are a few standards, AV2 is probably the most cost effective to use, G.hn are newer but more expensive.
's avatar