Posted 26 December 2023

Put weed membrane over bark with stone chippings on top?

Hi all. I've got a week off and sorting a few little house jobs. Looking to put stone chippings where the bark currently is. The bark has sunk somewhat so was thinking if I could just put membrane over the bark and lay stone chippings on that for a swift job complete? I'll spray a week killer down first.
Community Updates
New Comment

3 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    You could do, but be careful that the bark doesn't tear or split the membrane, maybe if it's just a smell area level it out first with some sand then put membrane down.
    Bark would make great compost bin addition if been on for a while or if fresh can it not be used as a mulch somewhere else. If don’t want for own garden a post on Facebook marketplace might get someone to take for same purposes and they might well lift much of it for you!
    Otherwise it will continue to rot down which might not be noticeable if thick enough gravel layer but could feed any of the few hardy weeds like dandelions that will pierce through the membrane from above or below over time.
    Always better pegging the membrane down. If it's a small area I'd remove the bark, peg it and then stones on top
's avatar