Posted 19 hours ago

Question about gas/electric certificate

Looking to get gas/electric certificate, got first quote and guy said need to replace consumer unit first. Quote like £600+ including material, certificate, labour

Question is if no work is being carried out at all does it need new one just to get certified

Also roughly how much should i expect for this.
Community Updates
New Comment

Categories

3 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    Not nearly enough information. Did you get a visit for that quote? Where in the UK is the property?

These certificates are usually needed if it's a rental property. I've had 2 electric ones done (Berkshire) on BTLs and the cost was £300ish per pop with a friendly long term electrician. No mention of new consumer units though both existing units were under 20 years old.
    Author
    Yes.

Its one of those old units from 60s of something that need those big fuses for lights and sockets.

My understanding was as long as no changes are made no need to upgrade consumer units.

The weird thing is we had a lift installed back in 2010 and they just installed a new while box just for that and then another box last year (smart meter) without upgrading anything else or evening recommending it (edited)