Posted 13 November 2021

Return of passports

Hi,

My new British passport has arrived. I am wondering after how many days they return the old passport and the passport of my country.

Thanks in advance.
Community Updates
New Comment

38 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    tek-monkey13/11/2021 15:08

Didn't think you got the old one back? Should get your other nationality …Didn't think you got the old one back? Should get your other nationality one though.

Yes, They cut the corners and return.

I've known them to be returned over a week later. (edited)
    Author
    deleted8937813/11/2021 18:03

France er kun companykey contract disey. Passportey enough page o nai.

Thant explains alot

chrb13/11/2021 18:13

I paid a fee for tracked return ( or something similar) received it about …I paid a fee for tracked return ( or something similar) received it about a week after new one

I did too 😩 (edited)
    Sometimes same day wouldn’t worry to much yet.
    They re-issue the old ones to new peeps, gotta think of the environment. They just stick fake beards over the old photo.

46061830-h0qhm.jpg
    I paid a fee for tracked return ( or something similar) received it about a week after new one
    Author
    Still no returns as of today for my or myself. This is quite pathetic IMO.
    Author
    richp25/11/2021 13:13

BBC News - Passports: Delivery firm apologises for UK delays.

Thanks. Utterly shambolic. Worse than a 3rd world country service.
    adamnsu02/12/2021 19:18

Received my supporting documents today finally. That was nearly a months …Received my supporting documents today finally. That was nearly a months wait after my new British passport was delivered.

Glad you got them eventually, but that timescale was ridiculous!
    Author
    deleted7595313/11/2021 14:59

Sometimes same day wouldn’t worry to much yet.

Thanks it’s been 4 days.
    Didn't think you got the old one back? Should get your other nationality one though.
    Congratulations. You're British
    Author
    Gollywood13/11/2021 15:15

Thanks but this was renewal of new British passport

.MUFC.13/11/2021 15:12

Yes, They cut the corners and return.I've known them to be returned over a …Yes, They cut the corners and return.I've known them to be returned over a week later.

Thanks. Old my visas are on the old passport which Will help to transfer onto new one. We sent my sons application separately a week earlier and his old passport hasn’t arrived (edited)
    about a week later when i applied for my brother. they sent the old one back in standard mail whereas the new passport is sent by courier. you will probably get it next week.
    When I applied for a passport a few months ago I think I got the new one about 7-10 days before the old one was returned.
    Gollywood13/11/2021 15:15

He meant he got the new Blue/Black passport.

Adamnsu, it takes 2 weeks. Royal Mail shove it through your letterbox. The guys at Her Majesty's Passporte office don't even bother to put it in a bubble or hardback envelope. They just use a plain A4 envelope (edited)
    adamnsu13/11/2021 15:06

Thanks it’s been 4 days.

I got my new passport two weeks ago and still not got the old one back, need it as it's got Visa in it. Mate also has been waiting over two weeks for his documents to be returned ( Birth Cert., etc. ) , first time applicant. Think they have got behind in their work like just about every other government department. Did wife's renewal last year and old and new passports arrived within a day of each other.
    Author
    deleted8937813/11/2021 16:32

He meant he got the new Blue/Black passport.Adamnsu, it takes 2 weeks. …He meant he got the new Blue/Black passport.Adamnsu, it takes 2 weeks. Royal Mail shove it through your letterbox. The guys at Her Majesty's Passporte office don't even bother to put it in a bubble or hardback envelope. They just use a plain A4 envelope

Thanks bro. Long time no see. Agreed the new passport came in a simple envelope, which I feel puts it under risk. Feels quite cheap material too. The old passport was sturdy and so is the desh one

yorkie1213/11/2021 16:38

I got my new passport two weeks ago and still not got the old one back, …I got my new passport two weeks ago and still not got the old one back, need it as it's got Visa in it. Mate also has been waiting over two weeks for his documents to be returned ( Birth Cert., etc. ) , first time applicant. Think they have got behind in their work like just about every other government department. Did wife's renewal last year and old and new passports arrived within a day of each other.

Oh dear. Really sorry to hear of your delays. Anyway to contact them? (edited)
    adamnsu13/11/2021 16:46

Thanks bro. Long time no see. Agreed the new passport came in a simple …Thanks bro. Long time no see. Agreed the new passport came in a simple envelope, which I feel puts it under risk. Feels quite cheap material too. The old passport was sturdy and so is the desh oneOh dear. Really sorry to hear of your delays. Anyway to contact them?

That's strange. My brother got his passport a few months ago and it came by courier. I got a delivery date and window for the delivery. I had to pay for this service, maybe you didn't choose this when you applied?
    adamsnu - Our local post office/ sorting office has 24 postmen/women off with covid just now ,had no post delivered for a week , could be there are staff shortage
    Author
    mutley113/11/2021 16:58

That's strange. My brother got his passport a few months ago and it came …That's strange. My brother got his passport a few months ago and it came by courier. I got a delivery date and window for the delivery. I had to pay for this service, maybe you didn't choose this when you applied?

I did. It was TNT . I did get a date but that was only for the new passport
    Same stupid system in the U.S. to send passport in the mail.
    adamnsu13/11/2021 16:46

Thanks bro. Long time no see. Agreed the new passport came in a simple …Thanks bro. Long time no see. Agreed the new passport came in a simple envelope, which I feel puts it under risk. Feels quite cheap material too. The old passport was sturdy and so is the desh oneOh dear. Really sorry to hear of your delays. Anyway to contact them?

France er kun companykey contract disey. Passportey enough page o nai.
    In the same boat.
    Called HM, they said wait 10 days.
    They also said TNT had technical issue so give it extra time. If after still not here call back.
    Author
    rimalpatel00718/11/2021 17:05

In the same boat. Called HM, they said wait 10 days. They also said TNT …In the same boat. Called HM, they said wait 10 days. They also said TNT had technical issue so give it extra time. If after still not here call back.

I gave them a call and they said 3 weeks. My son's was application was sent a week earlier than mine, his new passport did come but old one still his hasnt arrived. This is getting a bit ridiculous for all as the old documents should be sent before the new one (edited)
    Oh dear.
    Is there a way to claim for compensation for missing documents?
    Author
    rimalpatel00725/11/2021 17:45

Oh dear. Is there a way to claim for compensation for missing documents?

I think alot of people thinking that. But honestly I dont think any people impacted will get anything.

I am actually shocked that the Passport Office doesnt give a crap
    adamnsu25/11/2021 18:27

I think alot of people thinking that. But honestly I dont think any people …I think alot of people thinking that. But honestly I dont think any people impacted will get anything. I am actually shocked that the Passport Office doesnt give a crap

we are living in the middle of a pandemic. you need to put things into perspective.

there are problems everywhere at the moment so a delay in passport service is only to be expected.
    Author
    mutley125/11/2021 18:35

we are living in the middle of a pandemic. you need to put things into …we are living in the middle of a pandemic. you need to put things into perspective. there are problems everywhere at the moment so a delay in passport service is only to be expected.

Yes but the pandemic shouldn’t allow such appalling customer service, lost documents and no info.

If retail companies are delivering one day service during the pandemic how come TNT aren’t.
    adamnsu25/11/2021 18:51

Yes but the pandemic shouldn’t allow such appalling customer service, lost …Yes but the pandemic shouldn’t allow such appalling customer service, lost documents and no info.If retail companies are delivering one day service during the pandemic how come TNT aren’t.

because we are talking about a public service. with retailers, if their customer service is poor, people will go elsewhere. with the public service, there is no choice.

DVLA is even worse than the passport office and you could argue that they are even more important than passports as no one actually need to travel abroad at the moment with this pandemic.
    Author
    mutley125/11/2021 18:54

because we are talking about a public service. with retailers, if their …because we are talking about a public service. with retailers, if their customer service is poor, people will go elsewhere. with the public service, there is no choice.DVLA is even worse than the passport office and you could argue that they are even more important than passports as no one actually need to travel abroad at the moment with this pandemic.

I still dont think thats an excuse for this mess at this juncture of the pandemic. I think it is more important for delivery of such important and vital documents. TNT isnt public and is a private company as far as I am aware and they and the passport office should take some accountability. People are left in the dark.

Sympathising with such entities is not acceptable IMO
    Author
    So I received a new update on TNT tracking saying it would be delivered on 29. That has now shifted to the 1 Dec. This is just a farce. Now with the new variant they will use that an excuse of the delivery delay
    Author
    Received my supporting documents today finally. That was nearly a months wait after my new British passport was delivered.
    Still waiting for mine. Is there way to get tracking/ETA?
    Author
    richp02/12/2021 22:09

Glad you got them eventually, but that timescale was ridiculous!

I am glad they gave both my supporting passports.

What’s ridiculous is that they receive it on 29 Nov and kept changing delivery dates.

rimalpatel00702/12/2021 23:51

Still waiting for mine. Is there way to get tracking/ETA?

Unfortunately not. The customer service staff at the passport office are friendly but totally useless.

You could try their Twitter account but I think it’s the same nonsense. (edited)
    adamnsu02/12/2021 23:54

I am glad they gave both my supporting passports. What’s ridiculous is t …I am glad they gave both my supporting passports. What’s ridiculous is that they receive it on 29 Nov and kept changing delivery dates.Unfortunately not. The customer service staff at the passport office are friendly but totally useless.You could try their Twitter account but I think it’s the same nonsense.

Just got mine delivered. I sent mine on a hardback envelope so the certificate remains straight however the passport office sent it in a normal envelope folded.
    Author
    rimalpatel00703/12/2021 16:30

Just got mine delivered. I sent mine on a hardback envelope so the …Just got mine delivered. I sent mine on a hardback envelope so the certificate remains straight however the passport office sent it in a normal envelope folded.

Great stuff. I know exactly how you feel! Yeah they send it in a cheap envelope.

I got a call an hour ago today from the passport office of this issue I raised 2 weeks ago! I think the passport office is as incompetent as TNT in certain aspects (edited)
's avatar