Posted 17 December 2023

Royal mail delivered to wrong address?

Hi all! So I ordered a few tops and hoodies from Spiral Direct late Thursday evening. I wasn't expecting it til next week cos they say it takes 2-4 days and it was posted on Friday. When I was out today I checked the tracking on Royal Mail site and on the app Shop from Google play store and both said "attempted delivery" but also "delivered".

At the top of the royal mail site it's says failed to deliver cos no one was home and they will attempt it again on the next business day. However underneath that on the actual tracking information says both "delivery attempted - no answer" but then underneath that it says "delivered"

On the app Shop it says it also says "delivery attempted" and then "delivered". Shop app shows the postcode it was delivered too and the area on a map (not a clear one) and it's different to mine. The first two letters of our postcodes are the same but everything after that is different.

What's going on here? Is it the fault of Spiral Direct somehow putting on the wrong postcode or Royal Mail? How is it even possible that they can manage to put wrong details on a bloody parcel? I'm sure I was home when they supposedly attempted to deliver this morning but I didn't hear a knock. Even If wasn't they didn't leave a card like they usually do saying they attempted delivery.

I am so angry because part of it was Christmas presents for my girlfriend!
Community Updates
New Comment

16 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    It is the job of the retailer to ensure that the address is written correctly. Secondly, Royal Mail no longer leaves a card for attempted delivery as the redelivery is automatically scheduled for the next delivery day; you get a card only after the second attempt.
    My one leaves a card saying "first" in barely legible writimg and doesn't fill in the rest of the form. I guess its better than just chucking it over my back door like other couriers.
    Happens at least with 50% of my parcels - nothing you can do. Contact RM - they will provide an incident number and you pass this onto the retailer (helps with the retailer refunding you to have this first). Have had to do it 20/30 times over the last few years
    Author
    Will call them both first thing tomorrow and hope Spiral Direct will send replacements out but I doubt it.
    Your average Royal Mail employee: Absolutely useless round my area.
    51766467_1.jpg51766467-K8EAO.jpg (edited)
    That looks like my postman

51770479-dSFSR.jpg

It's a Goal
    Sadly it's an all too common occurrence for me - 123 street is the same as 123 road according to Royal Mail! Also my recent alcohol purchase from Amazon was left at my front door and RM forged my signature!
    The same thing happened to me. My alcohol order from Amazon was to be delivered by Royal Mail and I knew it would be a problem. A card was put through the letterbox delivery was attempted but no one was home. I have a ring doorbell that wasn't used and I was home and missed the delivery by 10 minutes, I was annoyed. I kept tracking my order and it arrived the next day.
    I imagine it was the right address, but the postie has probably delivered it to the wrong house. Unfortunately, there are a few wrongens working for Royal Mail. Or maybe they have scanned it wrong and it will turn up tomorrow.
    I had a pre-booked parcel for collection from home - I answered the door and the postie was there, all going well! Then he put the sticker on the parcel and walked away, I asked if he was going to scan to say he had collected it - he responded 'I did that in the van before I got out'

And low and behold, I checked my tracking and he had 'collected' it 3 minutes before knocking on my door

Granted, he didn't try to steal it, but it is wrong when systems in place can be used wrongly!
's avatar