Posted 1 day ago

Rubber or felt roof?

Hi, I have a flat roof 4 metres x 5.5 metres. Leaking all over the place and needs replacing.
What is better felt or rubber? Thanks
Community Updates
New Comment

22 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    Fibreglass
    If you don't plan to be there for long then you could try a 'patch' fix

If you have access to a ladder (ie a neighbour who is a tradesman)

Get up there yourself and coat the suspect areas with something like acrypol/cromapol

This is obviously not the ideal solution, but offering the suggestion as not every one always has the money at hand to have a roof redone (edited)
    Author
    Why Fibre glass? I’ve been quoted an ok price for felt, what’s the normal procedure for this? Roofer said he would felt over the existing felt? (edited)
    The existing felt should be removed after all you won't know if there is any damage to the wooden struts etc underneath. Surely a much better surface is achieved by totally removing the old, broken and damaged felt. Do you have stones on it?
    Fibreglass all the way, will last forever.
    My friends garage roof.
    A bit bigger than you need.
    52476792-wir7I.jpg (edited)
    Déjà vu

The whole thread is Déjà vu. Déjà vu I say. Déjà vu
    FWIW our Firestone rubber roof was installed in 2008 and is still performing perfectly. 6m x 5m
    With Fibreglass you'll get a 25 year guarantee but likely to last 50+ years if installed correctly. Checkout Topseal (https://www.topseal.co.uk/)
    Rubber
    Had several fibreglass flat roofs installed on a dormer house in the 80s. Had a fibreglass flat roof installed over a bedroom in current house. Seems a bit noisy in the summer when the sun hits it in the morning. Since the cost of the installation is a large part of the bill (rather than the material) it may be cost effective anyway. (edited)
    I guess also it depends on how long the OP intends to remain in the house. Felt roofs should come with at least a 10 year guarantee but really last only 15 - 20 years - or at least from my experience.
    You've asked this before. What makes you think the answer will be different? A felt roof will be cheaper but it won't last. That is the truth undeniably so. What you decide to go for is your choice
    Author
    I have since had roofers come out, one said he wanted to felt over felt, another said rubber is better. None mentioned fibre glass. As roofers are notorious for not doing a good job I thought I would ask on here now that I have further information from the roofers themselves. It’s not going to be cheap and I can’t go up on the roof and check their work (edited)
's avatar