Posted 1 day ago

Sainsbury's Substitute items

I ordered some items from Sainsbury's a few days ago on a nectar price. Today they have emailed to say some items have been substituted. So.... They have substituted 11 items with the same brand but different flavour charging full price and the 9 items that are available have now been charged the full price too.
Is this acceptable?

I thought they honoured the price or offer at the time of order and also substitutions arent then charged more.

Thank you in advance x
Community Updates
New Comment

5 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    If I am not mistaken, the price applied is the one on the day of delivery. (edited)
    It is not acceptable to me, but everything done electronically these days. The processing staff unlikely to know your personalise nectar price.
    I guess you should contact CS to see if they offer extra credit back.
    Author
    So I went into the store and the online click and collect were baffled. Took nearly an hour to resolve. They said that the price I 'paid' online is changeable by the time I pick my order up a few days later as they don't take your money until the day of pick up. It's a real gamble! I asked if it goes cheaper then what? They responded that they would charge less.
    What a strange way to shop. It's like stocks and shares shopping with Sainsbury's.
    You never know if it's gone up or down on the day of collection. Bizarre. I'll pass and stick to a supermarket that honours what I thought I was paying.
    It has always been like this with all supermarkets and they make it quite clear in the terms. Secondly, if the item is on sale, the end date for the promotion price is right there on the product page as you can see from the screenshot below -

52644430_1.jpg
    Hardly a surprise to anyone buying online given that the information is right there and easily visible.

The reason supermarkets do this is because it gives an equal opportunity to in store shoppers during the same time period. Amazon does exactly the same with S&S orders with future deliveries being at the price applicable at the time of shipment and not at the price of the first order. (edited)
    Every time I've had a sub thats more expensive that what I picked, they charge the full price and then refund the difference in either a store credit on your account or a credit in you bank account (on the card you paid for). Small amounts are stored credit but seems a thing north of £2.50 are credit to the payment.

I'm pretty sure where there's been an offer on something that isn't available they refund based on the shelf original price, not discount Nectar price but I don't get many subs at all from my deliveries so I could be talking complete tosh! (edited)
's avatar