Posted 15 December 2023

Sharing a video stream from one room to another (potentially via powerline adapters).

Our charity has a CCTV system in one room that we'd like to be able to view in another. Is there a cost effective way to stream video from the CCTV box to a dedicated screen (in the office). Ideally in a way that can also extend the IR receiver so that the remote control can still be used. It currently outputs to a standard PC monitor via HDMI.

It's a very niche request - but one that feels like it should have a solution (perhaps delivered via our existing powerline adapter internet network). The CCTV box unfortunately can't be moved as all the cameras that feed it have cables running to it.

(Sorry to be asking such a niche thing - but not getting too far with my Google searching!)

Thank you
Community Updates
New Comment

3 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    Powerlines move neutral data, and are usually considered an ethernet connection (though this is not strictly correct). You cannot just bang a raw HDMI signal onto it.

IR works on line-of-site (or sometimes limited reflected infra red light). You cannot use it in another room away from the optical receiver.

You can get a wireless HDMI transmitter, and a wireless HDMI receiver, and you can (in theory) do the same with the IR signal from your remote, but this form of solution seems above your level of technical understanding. Instead, I'd look to the manufacturer of your CCTV system, and inquire from them their recommended solution.

PS try googling "wireless hdmi extender with ir control" - I get results that seem they may meet your needs.
    Do you really need HDMI signal? If it's a PC running the CCTV you could just RDP to it from another PC over a wireless connection?
    What CCTV box is it? Does it run an OS? Is there a monitor out feed?
    IR can be extended via a cable (some CCTV boxes have a IR extender port where you plug in an IR sensor on a longer lead and route that to your required location. You can also fit an after market model - an IR transmitter is taped to the IR port on the CCTV and a longer lead connects to a powered box that relays the IR from another room. Of course there are many other ways such as bluetooth to IR)
    There are many many solutions although I'm not sure what your problem is?
    What is the CCTV system currently connected to or being viewed on - a TV or a computer and monitor?

If it's the latter then any remote screen sharing/control application will allow for the CCTV to be viewed and controlled on the same network without doing anything else but "pairing" them up.

The former will need any old computer connected to it and be on the same network and the same thing can be achieved.
's avatar