Posted 2 days ago

Sign of things to come - New world record for internet speed

New Comment

8 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    I recall 56k speeds and overnight downloading of 80mb of Microsoft updates and spending 5 hours backing it up to 50 floppy disks

Nobody really needs ultra fast broadband, it's down to bragging rights like the numpties with the latest iPhones etc that they pay £50-£100 a month for and only use it for faceache

As a retired computer programmer, my mind is fried with the 301 terabits per second

I recall being in a 50 by 20ft air conditioned computer room full of 6 x 1gb drives that cost £50,000 each
    The mainframe computer had 16mb of ram and cost £350,000 (ibm 4381). Equivalent to £2m now 😳

My £100 mobile phone has more processor speed ... (edited)
    It doesn't matter how fast they can make the internet go, it will still take anything from 10 minutes to several hours to answer a call when it stops working .
    I wonder when Virgin Media will start offering that speed!
    Yikes that's fast ..
    Streaming video games might actually play smoothly
    For the average home user it isn’t necessary but for business and commerce/trading it can never be too fast.
    a lot of technology is held back by existing hardware and infrastructure, when these improve then it will make those technologies possible.
    i use mobile internet and home broadband and it can do everything I need. But I also recently have access to really fast internet. doing the same tasks and downloading the same files which normally takes several minutes now takes seconds. As speeds increase the demands asked of it also increases, larger files, faster computers/ games consoles will appear, in the near future this ultra fast internet will no longer be fit for purpose and will need to be replaced by something better/ faster.
    Spintronics beats that, it can send data to mars and back in under an hour!
    Basically it’s telecommunications at light speed.
    And don’t get me started on quantum computers…
    Different ball game at that point… (edited)
    Most electronic communications is near lightspeed, I'm pretty sure even the original telephone systems were.

It's all about how much data you can send at once or how little time you can spend sending one bit of data, it all travels at more or less the same speed.
's avatar