Posted 19 February 2024

Smart outside socket for hybrid (ev) charging

Im wanting to charge my hybrid car at 12-5am when its cheap on my ev tariff. We have a socket external with a 32amp breaker in the distribution board. The car doesn’t allow us to do a delay charge unfortunately. We also don’t have an electric charging point and can’t really justify spending close to 1000 pounds on one! I thought maybe a smart outdoor socket with a timer function?
Community Updates
New Comment

3 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    We are in the same position as the OP, except we have a small battery BEV. Mini E.
    So long as you are happy that your external plug and the wiring is in good condition I can't see a problem. We had the external plug and wiring checked and slightly improved by an electrician. Wiring and socket barely get warm after 10hr on charge. for a timer tlc-direct.co.uk/Pro…BwE looks to be the answer. rated to 3.2kw so should be fine with a granny cable charge.
    You can get smart wifi circuit breakers, could be mounted outdoors in an ip68 rated box with a din rail. They absolutely must not be used to replace an existing breaker.

52240904-vlsK3.jpg
's avatar