Unfortunately, this discussion is no longer valid
Posted 11 hours ago

Stuck flap of an outdoor socket

Hi there,

I am struggling to open the cover/flap of an outdoor waterproof double socket like the one in the link diy.com/dep…255

I had not opened or used it since maybe Aug last year. So I guess it is jammed. I have tried forcing it open with my hand, but it did not budge. I am hesitant to use too much force or start hitting it with bricks, etc. in case I end up with an even bigger problem. As you can tell I am a novice when it comes to dealing with electrical issues. So, I wondered if someone here is knowledgeable and kind enough to help me out with this issue.

Please let me know if more info is needed.

Thank you.
Community Updates
New Comment

Categories

11 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    Author
    Thanks all. PS5's tip did the trick
    Brilliant news.
    Flathead screwdriver or other flat prying tool
    It doesn't sound ike an electrical (yet!) - it's appears to be a mechanical one. Few of those have metal hinges so it's unlikely to be rusted shut, either someone has glued it shut or the rubber seal has perished causing it to act like glue...
    Make sure it's unlocked and you should be able to lift up the hinge with enough force.
    As and have already said it's unlikely to be electrical. So it is merely stuck.
    I'd use a flathead screwdriver with an insulated (i.e. plastic) handle.
    I don't think WD40 or similar is likely to help.
    Mine was really tight at the weekend. My solution was a gentle kick with toe of shoe to the top of clip (much more force than hand and safer than hammer).
    What is stuck?

The clips or do they work but then you cannot open it?
    Author
    The clips.
    Got a few of these, various ones, all get stuck. One of the clips is now broken when someone tried to open it presumably. They're a nightmare!
's avatar