Posted 14 January 2024

Suggestions for holiday locations

Good morning. I’m looking for some advice please.

My wife and I are looking to book an all inclusive holiday early May this year. My wife is recovering from cancer and the time we’re going will correspond with her 40th birthday. Thanks to parents we have a greater budget than we usually would and, for the 1st time in 10 years +, we’ll be child free! Top end spend would be £2,500 per person.

We’re struggling as location isn’t hugely important as we just want somewhere to relax and indulge in some good food. If there were excursions great but also it wouldn’t be the end of the world for we didn’t leave the resort. Ideally somewhere with multiple restaurants without surcharges.

We’ve looked at Sandals but I get the feeling they’re overpriced based on the cache of the brand (please correct me if I’m wrong).

We did Mauritius for our honeymoon and have been looking at the Maldives for this holiday but appreciate that the location isn’t the most important factor if you’re not leaving the resort.

I’m looking for advice and suggestions as there are literally thousands of options and we’re struggling.

Thanks in anticipation.
Community Updates
New Comment

19 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    If you can put up with the long flight time then take a look at the Domican Republic
    Went there last august/September for my 25th wedding anniversary, stayed in a secrets hotel…..was quality.
    Have you thought about a cruise? We have been on a few in the last few years and could recommend Celebrity and also enjoyed Tui ( Marella) .
    Wishing your wife a speedy and full recovery.
    Vietnam/Cambodia with 5* stays breakfasts/dinner at hotels and private taxis for sightseeing, something better than beaches (edited)
    Author
    We travelled extensively through SE Asia in our younger years but on a hugely different budget. I should have mentioned above but as we only have a week anywhere with 8+ hours travel will essentially lose us 2 days of holiday time. Great suggestion though. I loved Vietnam, especially the food. Was so chilled out when compared to China where we’d been for the previous month!
    Spain, Turkey, Greece, Balearic Islands or Canaries maybe?
    Atlantic the Palm or the Marina in Dubai. All restaurants within walking distance. Guaranteed relaxation and good food!
    Possibly Cyprus or Morocco? They're not too long a flight and the weather will hopefully be nice in May too.
    Author
    Ironically we can go to Morocco from Bournemouth (where we live). I hadn’t considered it tbh. Will do some research! Thanks.
    Costa del sol, short trip fantastic places to go.
    [deleted]
    Considerably more than the 'not' 8 plus hours stipulated.
's avatar