Posted 21 November 2023

Thermal imaging camera search

Hi. I’m after a thermal imaging camera. I’ve seen the current deal on the Flir android usb c but resolution seems very poor. I’ve seen a few unknown brands with seemingly good prices on Amazon but have no clue as to if they are any good.

Can someone point me in the direction of a decent priced one that is higher resolution than the basic ones?
Community Updates
New Comment

4 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    Spook - I was just looking at the different options. A "proper" resolution thermal imaging camera is in the several thousand pound range. Those little ones you plug into your phone are a good compromise - do you really need the extra resolution? Even the handheld units have about the same 240px resolution and are about another £100 (as you are paying for the screen etc).
    Remember it's a heat pattern you see not an image.
    When I was looking I could only find the low resolution options (the flir is a typical example). If you look at the devices that are used on TV programmes and Youtube videos you very quickly get into four figures.

However, one thing I never figured out is how such a small resolution on the thermal imaging can then create the full resolution images on screen. For example, the flir has a resolution of 80 x 60, but the image is saved as a 1080p image. How is that possible? I know why thermal imaging has low resolution in the first place, I just don't get how these sensors can generate the higher resolution images.
    I'd imagine the data is simply overlaid on a camera image.
    I bought the Topdon TC001 recently and have been very pleased with it. You might already have seen but there is some info in the comments here on the subject
    hotukdeals.com/dea…267
's avatar