Posted 25 March 2015

Three Upgrades - better to phone than do online?

I'm a couple of months past my contract expiration so I'm looking at the upgrade section of the My3 Account thing.

The deals l have on mine are rubbish! Way worse than what I have now.

What I was intending to do was keep my tariff, get the best phone possible. However it looks like I can't simply keep my existing tariff and upgrade the phone.

If I phone them will I be able to negotiate something better than what is showing online?
Community Updates
New Comment

11 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    I did it on the phone, they were very good even though the bloke was in an offshore call centre.
    Over the phone is the best. But you won't get the best deal until the final days of your contract, even then you only get a good deal from the retentions team once a PAC code is requested
    dean_brfc

It ended in January so I think I'm on a monthly rolling one now.At least … It ended in January so I think I'm on a monthly rolling one now.At least I hope that's the case and it didn't renew for 12 months or something.

Ah yes my mistake I misread the OP. Yeah don't let them fob you off because when you go to cancellations they may offer you various deals to tie you into a contract. Keep their website open infront of you, many times they offer you exactly what they offer new customers. Stick to your guns and ask for the PAC, that's where the real fun begins.
    Author
    Should have added a bit more detail....

I'm on Ultimate Internet 500 (500 mins, 5000 texts, unlimited data) for £15 a month.

I guess the other option is seeing if they'll give me the same (or very similar) as a cheaper sim only deal. Again, the options online are rubbish though so if anyone has any experience of doing that it would be good to hear.
    The computer tells them what they can offer based on your worth as a customer. If you go over your allowance each month you'll get a better offer than if you only pay them the plan price.
    Author
    steve1221

The computer tells them what they can offer based on your worth as a … The computer tells them what they can offer based on your worth as a customer. If you go over your allowance each month you'll get a better offer than if you only pay them the plan price.

Thanks. So they will have better offers if I phone up and speak to someone?

I go over by a quid or two each month (apart from one where I hit £12, not sure what happened there) so my worth probably isn't that high...
    Over the phone is best.
    Im with talktalk a sim only and so is the wife.
    I called when she had 30 left to run on the contract and wast put through to retentions.
    The first thing the lady said was she could do half price for life on contracts ie mine and hers without me saying anything.
    A good deal.
    First say you want a new deal.
    Second say its no good enough and ask for pac code to leave.
    Third you get put through to redemptions who offer a better deal.
    Forth if deal still no good take pac code and wait for another call from 3 with an offer.
    Fifth wait untill 3 days before 30 day pac code exp.Then ring again for offers.
    And take offer or leave.
    Author
    bigwheels

Over the phone is best.Im with talktalk a sim only and so is the wife.I … Over the phone is best.Im with talktalk a sim only and so is the wife.I called when she had 30 left to run on the contract and wast put through to retentions.The first thing the lady said was she could do half price for life on contracts ie mine and hers without me saying anything.A good deal.First say you want a new deal.Second say its no good enough and ask for pac code to leave.Third you get put through to redemptions who offer a better deal.Forth if deal still no good take pac code and wait for another call from 3 with an offer.Fifth wait untill 3 days before 30 day pac code exp.Then ring again for offers.And take offer or leave.

Thanks that's good advice. I'll give them a ring and see what happens.

I was hoping I could avoid the phone call as my previous experience with Three has been a bit like pulling teeth!
    Author
    Al18

Over the phone is the best. But you won't get the best deal until the … Over the phone is the best. But you won't get the best deal until the final days of your contract, even then you only get a good deal from the retentions team once a PAC code is requested

It ended in January so I think I'm on a monthly rolling one now.

At least I hope that's the case and it didn't renew for 12 months or something.
    dean_brfc

Thanks that's good advice. I'll give them a ring and see what happens. I … Thanks that's good advice. I'll give them a ring and see what happens. I was hoping I could avoid the phone call as my previous experience with Three has been a bit like pulling teeth!

So did you call them and find out?
    Author
    davewave

So did you call them and find out?

Not yet. I'm out of the country until Friday so will give it a try when I get back.
's avatar