Posted 5 days ago

Tree felling advice

So we need a tree felled and we got a few quotes in, everything from £2k to £5k. Obviously we went with the cheapest and arranged to have it felled after we agreed the price. Turns out they misquoted and needed include the cost of crane hire - an additional £1200. Okay, when can you complete the work? Next week. Well next week came and went without any contact. We left messages. Eventually they came back and said it was too big a job for them.
So we went with the expensive team and they need to close the road to get the crane in. They got an emergency road closure and contacted us to advise it'll be this Wednesday. They stated it's up to us to contact our neighbours and ensure there are no cars on the road otherwise they will have to abort - which of course means we will have to pay for that day and await another road closure allowance.

TL;DR: Is it normal for customers to liaise with neighbours and ensure that the road is free of parked cars? Especially considering how much we are paying?
Community Updates
New Comment

Categories

26 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    Is it not a polite thing to do regardless?
    Author
    Yeah, however it's a requirement of the applicant:

nidirect.gov.uk/art…rea

What are we paying for if we have to notify the neighbours?
    Also what if the neighbours choose to ignore us or are on holiday? It seems the company will use that as an excuse to not go ahead - which means they will no doubt charge us for a days work and the cost of the road closure request
    Where's the named Storm Casey when you it ? 🌪️

Better and cheaper for Mother Nature to fell a tree that's no longer welcome in the community. 🌳
    I always feel sad to see these big trees chopped down. Simply for convenience (edited)
    we I had work done, I asked, should I tell my neighbours .

and I was told, don’t worry, we’ll send them all letters .

anyway I came home, and asked my neighbours, did you receive a letter about the work? none of them got one .

luckily because I felt I should, I took it upon myself, to let all my neighbours know, before the work started
    Author
    Yeah - I have no problem telling the neighbours, however I don't feel we have any authority to do so - as the request for the road closure wasn't done directly by us - what's the point of paying for a service if you have to do the work yourself?
    Can't it be chunked in situ, then you only have to peg off the area around the tree? Any decent tree climbers would be worth the money for the aggravation saved
    As above, was it a proper tree surgeon that you consulted with or just a general gardening company?
    It must be a very large tree (not saying that it isn't but I've worked with tree surgeons in the past and there's not many trees that can't be reduced/felled by a team of experienced surgeons using ropes) if a team of qualified tree surgeons can't remove it without the need of a crane. (edited)
    with work, you are always responsible for co-ordinating access.
    We had a crane simply because the tree overhung a double garage. Over cautious maybe, but I have no qualms with paying extra for little issue.

My paperwork had the same disclaimers (we would abandon if no access, my responsibility to inform) - probably all boiler plate stuff
    You own the tree. You will be liable for the tree and to ensure it's cut down safely and disposed of properly.
    You need to talk to the contractor and be clear what you are getting for the price.
    Also who is liable for damage.
    Who is organising what. (edited)
    Look at it from their point of view, do they really want the cost/hassle etc of turning up and there are cars in the way. Neither do you, but if you want it done then I guess it'd be best to try everything you can to make it viable for them. Otherwise they may as well go and do other jobs and leave you to do the tree yourself!
    Maybe contact the Council for advice? You might even be able to pay them to do it? They could then send out letters etc…
    Author
    Well it turns out it is their responsibility and they have canvassed the street with official letters and notified all. What annoys me is that my wife had been advised it was up to us and when we visited their office today they informed me someone would be out later...
    First world problems eh?!
    Are they covering the cost too? That’s a result if so.
    Have they turned up and the neighbours all moved their cars?
    Author
    Well the crane went up before the road was closed so there where a few cars squeezing past! An hour later the Road service showed up and put cones and signs out blocking the road. I took a lot of pictures.
    52333577-C1e6o.jpgFor those who want to count the rings:
    52333577-U7hhM.jpg
's avatar