Posted 21 December 2023

Turkeys

Hi, first time arranging xmas dinner this year! At Sainsburys, they have a turkey crown which is what I want to go for, but they have ones for £9 or ones for £25+ and they look the same really.

I'm not sure if it even matters, but I'm not sure it's worth paying nearly triple for one. Any ideas please?

Thanks
Community Updates
New Comment

Categories

8 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    There is a significant difference in taste between different varieties of turkeys. A free range black turkey is very much better in terms of taste and texture than a standard one.
    But of course the main difference is that Sainsburys are doing one at 2.99 a kg and one at 16.99 a kg.
    Getting one with legs helps keep the breast moist in my experience and the standard one will still be a big old amount of meat for everyone.
    You can improve the flavour with stuffing the cavity with lemons, onions, fresh herbs etc. Put bacon criss crossed over the breast that will help it baste. Put a foil tent over it until the last 30 minutes or so.
    There will be a good deal of liquid coming out so keep taking that out.
    A meat thermometer is a good idea so that you're confident it's properly cooked.

Obviously as others say there are other meats that you can get but you cant beat how a turkey looks in the middle of the table.
    Don't buy a turkey.
    There are plenty of other choices.
    And yes, it is worth paying a bit more for a better quality meat. (edited)
    Why not buy a Turkey? And who is Tes?
    Prices are all over, depending if you want free range and size. Do you have an idea how many you're cooking for? You wanting fresh or frozen?
    Author
    4 People, and wanting a fresh crown.
    A turkey is for life, not just for Christmas.
    Well if you are going on "looks" by all means go for the cheapest. As far as quality goes and turkeys, you usually get what you pay for. Bronze and Black turkeys are better than white. If you dont want any of your guests to come to you again, buy the cheapest.
's avatar