Posted 3 days ago

UK Retailer GAME Laying Off Staff, Will Offer Jobs Back on 0 Hour Contracts

I didn't think Game could get any lower but here we are. Would this not be illegal for them to do this? 0 hour contracts are the worst.

ign.com/art…cts
Community Updates
New Comment

Categories

31 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    I didn't think Game could get any lower but here we are.

It's owned by Mike Ashley. Enough said.
    I'm glad that I no longer work there. I hope the staff stick together, refuse to accept the 0 hour contracts and move on to better things
    Tbh I'm surprised GAME is still a thing, surely can't be that profitable? They're overpriced as hell.. not to mention the rise in digital purchases.
    They always relied on people's lack of knowledge, and selling pre owned.
    Also the market is moving towards digital only, its a lot closer now than before,
    backlash from before has faded and people are being moved into the digital buying space as the norm.
    I'm not sure but cex probably does better than Game for preowned as well.
    I'm sure they will be gone soon.
    It's awful for the staff and I hope they find new jobs, however the writing has been on the wall for GAME for many years, they've diversified their product range, shut down stores and mixed them in with Sports Direct stores to try and keep going, nothing is working because people get their games cheaper online or through digital markets.
    Author
    Why don't they just go online only then?
    Feel for the GAME staff. I couldn't work for that guy.
    And the worse part is, the zero hour contract was offered because it's the only way they could get out of paying redundancy. It's just to show, look we offered you,but you refused. (edited)
    They aren't getting out of paying redundancy. The staff take the money and then apply for a zero hours contract if they want. Better than most people get when being made redundant. (edited)
    I was going to post that my local (Newtownabbey) store is closing down - walked past it when it was closed and had signs up stating everything must go - of course I forgot to visit it when it was open!
    Author
    They did that with mine but just moved all the stuff into the nearest Sports Direct.
    Not that I think it is right, but it sounds like they are being made redundant. Anyone that has been made redundant can apply for a new job at zero hours.
    Shoul have kept up by started selling cassettes or Meccano for grown ups or sherbert pips
    not illegal

it basically looks like the company is on it's last legs so they are taking action to avoid it closing down entirely (ie. going bust and closing like debenhams etc), so whilst it's not great for the staff, they have an option to take redundancy now, as well as continuing to work and get paid on a ZHC without any obligations to work, the staff have a warning to start seeking alternate employment, and there is potential for the business to be able to remain trading which could preserve jobs for other staff

obviously not a good position for the staff to be in, but the business is taking action that may result in being beneficial to some by making some roles redundant and offering new roles that may be a useful and even suitable option in the interim
    Yes you would never want this process to be illegal for that very reason.

If you outlaw fire and rehire you will just end up with a worse outcome: fire.

You just need measures in place to make sure it isn't egregiously done or done when it isn't required which is why there are things going through now, if not already in place, that do just that.
    Not suprised, don't think they are doing great tbh, could see it go under again.
    Iceland offer 6 hours part time contracts too
    Sure lots if small businesses are doing this but offering more shifts and overtime to cover it
    I don't get why people don't understand change. 
    There's not much point of this shop on the high street, there's no touchy feel to a computer game. 
    Order online for delivery and transfer the job market to couriers, van makers, warehouse development and IT skills needed to hold it all together. There's more better jobs by moving this online than high street stores that are just a terrible waste of a person's ability. 

THis is not a great example really, and the progression of this industry is going to be digital delivery for most of its products. 
    This trend has been going on for about 5 years now, so there's nothing new to see here.
    My local sports direct has recently moved to a new location in the shopping mall,
    The new store is much newer and better presented. It now incorporates sports direct, USC and game.
    I was surprised that sports direct has hired new staff from other shops including home bargains.
    I hear horror stories about mike Ashley's employment practices including zhc but how bad is it and how bad are other shops if staff are leaving them and joining sports direct?
    I'd be interested to hear from people who have first hand experience working in SD, and or other retail stores and how do they compare. I have no knowledge of contracts, hours and salaries in the retail sector.
    I wouldn't be surprised if the Fraser group will further consolidate to cut costs including incorporating Evans cycles and the many other brands the group owns.
    Mike Ashley is a hated figure in many people's eyes but he is just a businessman and a very successful one at that. He is not father Christmas, he buys failing businesses and turns them around. For people to think he should buy failing businesses which are not profitable and losing money and then continue to run those businesses exactly the same way and lose more money just doesn't make sense.
's avatar