Posted 12 December 2023

Volunteer working

Just wondering does anyone on here do voluntary work? If so any good or bad experiences, things to avoid? The reason I'm asking is currently I've got too much free time and it's driving me mad.
Community Updates
New Comment

18 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    Started as a volunteer in a charity shop and ended up being a manager (paid role) within 6 months.
    Volunteer with park ranger at local park. My daughter did this for Duke of Edinburgh last year and is still doing it as she enjoyed it so much.
    I volunteer at my large local community garden. The effort we do to grow produce for 3 food banks, makes it all worth while when we donate to them in the summer months. I also volunteer for a charity planting hedges and trees around North Dorset. (edited)
    What are you interested in?
    You can do one off or regular.
    Retail, cooking, collecting donations, working with youth, pet rescue etc.
    I don't have much free time so do ad hoc lunches for 55 homeless people every couple of month, which cost me around £50 each time. (edited)
    I volunteered at a museum before we moved a year ago and I loved every single minute of it. We moved to a tiny village last October and I got involved in the village hall committee kinda by mistake and now I'm treasurer of that and the local village action group. It is unbelievably rewarding and so good for meeting new people.
    Contact your local scout group - you don't need to look after scouts if you don't want to, there's always other jobs that need doing (group chair, secretary, general help etc).

P.S. Whatever you end up doing, well done for stepping forward & offering to help out somewhere (edited)
    i've worked with many volunteers in the past. some doing it because they are doing things they like to do, many are students and it gives them experience for when they apply for work, others take a voluntary role to get the foot in the door and some experience and it opens them up to new posts initially advertised internally, and they often get the job as they are a known factor, and even if it's a temp or part time post, they keep looking for new ones to climb the ladder. even if they don't get an internal role, it looks better to prospective employers if you show you are willing to do something and keep skills up to date instead of sitting doing nothing, not that than can be a barrier to getting a job if you have plenty of skills and experience and there aren't many people with the skills and experience for the roles you seek

generally big organisations and charities will look after volunteers and appreciate them and provide various opportunities such as training

other volunteers were retired people looking for something to do, often for social reasons to meet people and chat, and other times to brag to friends that they are involved in something important, even if they just stand chatting for 4 hours a week, they get the name badge

it all depends on what skills and experience you have and what you are willing to do, and the hours etc and what you expect to get out of it, even if it's just satisfaction that your time is appreciated or you are helping people, rather than trying to gain a job or change of career
    i did volunteering for a few months but found it wasn't for me. i would say that you should volunteer for a cause that you have an interest in as that will give you the motivation.
    Author
    Does the adult entertainment industry count
    Author
    Definitely some food for thought. Apparently there is an adult community services building locally so I'll go and have a nose there.
    Water Aid + Oxfam are looking for volunteers for the Glastonbury festival next year, I've never volunteered there but have been twice in 17&19 and it's such an amazing place.

festivals.oxfam.org.uk/this-years-festivals/glastonbury/

https://www.wateraid.org/uk/get-involved/volunteering/festival-volunteering/glastonbury#:~:text=Volunteer%20at%20Glastonbury%202024,others%20to%20support%20our%20work.&text=Applications%20to%20volunteer%20at%20Glastonbury,to%20hear%20once%20they%20do! (edited)
    It really depends on your interests. If you drive how about being a volunteer driver for taking people to medical appointments? Or become an advisor at Citizens Advice? 
    You have to sit their driving theory test which puts potential applicants off
    Volunteer as a customer in a pub, lots need it and will appreciate it (edited)
    If you are any good with tech and prepared to help disabled and/or old people have a look at AbilityNet
    School governor - you don’t need an education background at all and schools are always on the look out for governors.
    Author
    Well I went and visited our local community volunteer centre, they seemed very nice so I've now got an application to fill out online. It's like applying for a job. The last time I had to fill one out was about 20 years ago back in the day when it was pen and paper . (edited)
's avatar