Posted 14 June 2023

Wales where to go

Looking to go to wales any suggestions family with 2 kids. Halal food ideally needed locally. I wear a hijab and don’t want to feel uncomfortable so if there’s any Muslim families that have had nice experiences in uk beach holidays please advise as do not want to feel uncomfortable thanks
Community Updates
New Comment

16 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    Depends on what you want to see from wales, do you want to be near city life or is it for beaches and countryside? I’m from the north and as above not Muslim but we’re a multi national country so you should have no issues. Anywhere from Snowdonia down to Porthmadog is beautiful. If you like quirky and unusual 100% visit Portmeirion (edited)
    Author
    I’m looking for a relaxing time the weather looks good for now
    Everywhere is good when the sun is out . If you fancy North Wales look at Morfa Bychan near Porthmadog. Beautiful beach (Black Rock Sands) , from which you can see both Harlech and Criccieth castles, check it out on YouTube. On some parts you can actually take your car on the beach and have a BBQ. The village is only 2 miles out of town for the shops and restaurants. A good day out is to be had on the bus too, have an hour in Beddgellert , then back on the bus for 10 minutes at Pen Y Pass, near the top of Snowdon. Then on the bus again to Betwys Y Coed for an hour or so before getting a bus to Caernarfon. Plenty of other places to visit on the bus and it's only around £13 for a family day ticket ( available to buy and use all over Wales). Near Porthmadog are also Ospreys, the visitor centre is all set up with binoculars and TV cameras trained on the nests. It's free to visit but you can make a donation and it's a good bike ride from Morfa Bychan with not too many hills. Loads more outdoor things to do and see in the area.
    Just avoid the regions that voted for Brexit and you should be fine
    Wales , although not a large country by international standards, is still a few hours drive from North to South. Have you any particular areas of Wales you have in mind? I live in North Wales around the Llyn Peninsular and there are plenty of good beaches around here as well as scenic countryside. A little further south is Barmouth with good beaches too. This part of Wales attracts a lot of people from the Midlands. Even though the population in North Wales is small it is multicultural , along with the rest of Wales. I don't see any problems holidaying here as a member of our Muslim community , although I'm not Muslim myself.
    Went to Conwy in North Wales for work, its a lovely place.

I believe you can cycle along the coast, not sure how far though

Maybe a half hour from Anglesey, and not that far from Llandudno.

Also been to Aberystwyth, also a nice place, I don't think as good for cycling if I remember, but I could be wrong.
    Barry Island is crackin'.
    Author
    Looking for beach/ bike riding for kids and nice views. Agree Barry is great been there but just for the day but never ventured out. Iv been looking at Llanelli well that’s where I found a beach  right by apartment 

also happy to glamp if you know anywhere thanx guys
    Llanelli certainly ticks the boxes for what you ask for. A decent beach with the Coastal Cycle path giving you the option of heading west towards Pembrey Country Park. The Wetlands Centre is a short cycle ride away. The town itself is a little run down but Swansea and Carmarthen are both within easy reach.
    If you want countryside and picturesque go to North Wales. And I'd highly recommend the forest coaster they also have other activities but plenty to do.
    I think Gower and the adjacent city of Swansea would fit the bill. There is a large established Asian community, so food wouldn't be an issue and I often see women wearing Hijab particularly on the big beach of Swansea Bay around to Mumbles. Plenty of cycle routes and other stuff to do with the kids. I really don't think you'd attract much attention on any of the many Gower beaches either. I live in rural Gower and often see hijab wearing walkers, many I assume to be students. (edited)
    This. I'd avoid staying in Llanelli tbh - depressing post industrial town. Small Asian community. Swansea is much more multi cultural, buzzing international universities and has a large and busy mosque. Excellent place to base yourselves. As airbus says - many things to do. Gower is literally outstanding. Pembrokeshire in easy reach and the former brecon beacons now renamed in Welsh. As anywhere, the vast majority of Welsh are welcoming and will be interested in you.I'd strongly recommended a car.Remember though - West Coast = more rainy.
    Stick to Cardiff, it's great there.
    A friend took their airfryer and a selection of meat and had them for lunch and dinner. They only had fish and chips on the beach day.
's avatar