Posted 5 hours ago

Wanting to replace my Vodafone fibre router

I'm looking to replace my Vodafone fibre router with a better 3rd party router. I've read alot about this recently, understanding most of it (I am aware I need to get my PPPoE details from Vodafone).

My query is that I presume I need to select something that is both a modem & router? I was looking at the likes of a £60 TP-link AX1500, but it appears, if I want to totally replace the vodafone unit, I need a dual unit like a TP-Link Archer AXE75?
Community Updates
New Comment

6 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    When you are looking at full fibre routers just check to see that the router throughput (not wifi speed) is fast enough to handle your actual fibre speed. Otherwise the router will be a bottleneck ....especially if you want to raise your speeds in the near future.
    What is your exact package you have with Vodafone? And is it full fibre so you plug into a terminal with green lights on the wall, or plug into the telephone socket?

Speaking of telephones, do you make use of your Vodafone landline?
    Author
    Full fibre, with the terminal on the wall. No, never used the landline
    Author
    Many thanks for the advice
    I got this Asus RT-AX52 (from a deal on here recently) to replace my Vodafone router, seems to have a better WiFi range:

amazon.co.uk/dp/…L6W

I am also on fttp (via cityfibre) so it directly replaced the router but you keep the small black ONT box on the wall.

As mentioned above you have to set the VLAN thing which took an awful lot of googling to find out exactly where to find it in the settings but got there in the end
's avatar