Unfortunately, this discussion is no longer valid
Posted 4 June 2014

What shops blow up your own helium balloon please?

Does anyone who will blow up a helium ballon not bought from them and how much they charge if they do?

Thank you.
Community Updates
Helium Balloons

Helium balloons are long a feature of all kinds of celebrations, in no short part due to the hilarity of sucking in the helium to make your voice squeaky and high-pitched. However, with helium becoming harder to source, it can be expensive to get helium balloons pumped up. To help you in your search for helium balloons, we’ve written this short guide. You’ll get tips on where to buy helium balloons, as well as answer some of the general questions you might have on the subject.

Where Can I Get Helium Balloons Blown Up?

The most obvious place to get helium balloons are party and birthday shops such as Card Factory. You can buy single foil balloons pre-filled with high-grade helium. You can get a small tank with Card Factory of helium for around £20, which is enough to fill around 15 foil balloons or 30 normal balloons.

Buying Helium Balloons at Supermarket Chains

While supermarkets don’t sell pre-filled foil balloons, some do offer helium tanks that let you fill up balloons yourself. Let’s have a look at the individual chains.

Do Asda fill helium balloons? No, but they do sell helium canisters under their George label. For around 25 pounds, you can get a tank that claims to fill 50 latex balloons. Reviews online claim that the actual capacity is much lower than this however.

What about Morrisons, do Morrisons inflate balloons? The answer is sadly no. What’s more, they also do not sell their own helium balloon tank that let you fill them yourself.

Some might also look to buy helium balloons at Tesco, but they don’t fill balloons or sell helium canisters.

When looking to inflate Helium Balloons Card Factory may be the best option. Most of their foil helium balloon can be delivered already blown-up or they can be sent deflated and then blow them up in store. Most local Card Factory Stores have helium in store and can inflate balloons!

Finding Helium Balloons Near Me

The easiest way to find helium balloons near you is to use the store finders of a supermarket like Asda or a speciality seller like Card Factory. You should also call up the stores to make sure they offer helium services, particularly if it’s a smaller branch of Asda.

Ordering Helium Balloons for Delivery

If you’re looking to order a single or multiple helium balloons for delivery, then your best bet is a speciality party shop like Card Factory. With these outlets, you can order both foil and latex balloons filled with high-quality helium. They will be delivered pre-filled, making for a great surprise for someone’s birthday.

How Long Do Helium Balloons Last?

For balloons blown up from a canister, you can expect them to float for around 5-6 hours. The float time will be much better for pre-filled or shop-filled balloons – around 1-2 weeks. The massive difference is due to the short-supply of helium currently available. A canister of pure helium would be too expensive for supermarkets like Asda to sell to customers, so they often sell mixtures of other gases to compensate.

Will Helium Balloons Last Overnight?

If you want your helium balloons to last overnight, it is best to buy them pre-filled or have them filled in a speciality shop. The quality of helium in shop-bought canisters is only good enough to have them float for around 5-6 hours. They will thus not still be floating the next day if you fill them overnight.
New Comment

18 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    Bit late to the party (pun not intended but happy accident!), but have found that hobbycraft will fill a balloon not bought in their store for £3. I assume that's for a standard size, so bigger may be more.
    card factory????
    clinton cards?
    Burkos

card factory????clinton cards?

Are you just naming card shops? Or shops that will do what the op asked?
    Does any saving outweigh feeling pretty scabby when the shop assistant gives you a look of one half pity and one half disdain.
    if your stuck asda sell a helium ballon kit inc cylinder of gas for 30 balloons but its 22 quid
    Could try your local florist they might help you out.
    £3/balloon
    craigstephens

Are you just naming card shops? Or shops that will do what the op asked?

[image missing]

Came to mind as soon as I read your comment X)

I went into Clinton's here (Wellington Square, Stockton on Tees ) and asked if they did before I purchased the balloons online. They did say that should the balloons fail like pop etc then they not liable because not from their own shop floor. My Mum had them filled in March for my daughter but can't remember how much the charged but it was cheaper than they normally be from buy the balloons instore if they had designs I wanted as the balloons I bought from eBay were quite cheap.
    My local Thorntons did for £2.50
    Card factory. if they dont do it free they have the cheapest balloons so pay for one but get your special balloon filled. (I assume it has something specific that you want on it).
    Card Factory and ASDA....as far as I can remember the balloons and filling were included in the price
    ASDA had £5 for 3 balloons last time I bought
    Morrisons do if they have a party section.. not all stores do but my local has this section used it numerous times and took pre brought ones in and charged a small cost to inflate. If the balloon is brought from them obviously it's free filled with purchase.
    Hi how much to get about 5 helium balloons and where from please can anyone tel me thanks (edited)
    Home Bargains
    Morrisons at the e-cig / lottery counter in our local store.
    Costco used to sell a helium gas cylinder and packs of silver balloons a few years ago; about £25 if memory serves.
's avatar