Posted 8 hours ago

What should I be looking for in a monitor...

I'm looking for a monitor for mainly work so spreadsheets etc, but also so I can hook a steam deck up to it as well and play games. I'd say the games I'd be using it are more the ones that don't play as well on the deck such as city builders, as I'm happy playing on the actual deck for the most part. But still I'd like to cover myself incase I ever do have time to sit and play.

Is it just refresh rate? Or is there more I need to be looking at?

I'd love a decent sized curved one, saw someone play FIFA on one and you could see most of the pitch on it and it looked awesome, but it was probably about 50 inches I bet! I'm thinking 32 would be enough
Community Updates
New Comment

9 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    Curved radius
    Panel type (ips, va, TN, oled etc) refresh rate
    Free sync / g sync
    Speakers
    I/o
    Base adjustments
    Kvm?
    Resolution 1080 1440 4k
    Ultrawide?

Etc. (edited)
    Author
    Ah it must be an ultra wide curved monitor that I keep seeing in the videos that I like! Was wondering as I didn't want something that was just like a 32 inch TV
    The next monitor I am going to buy is actually going to be a TV. More of a hybrid solution, so all the specs of a decent monitor but multipurpose.
    Exactly what i did, moved pc to living room and now game on my 65 inch oled at 144hz sitting on sofa, its great
    Refresh rate is not terribly relevant to you.

Refresh rate allows you to see the effects of higher frame rates. Those effects are smoother motion that's closer to reality.

For games like City Builders where there's not a lot of fast action on a low powered system like a steam deck that'll struggle to generate high frame rates you're not going to get great benefits.
's avatar