Posted 29 March 2020

Why did Curry's refuse my credit application?

Hi all!

Yesterday I tried to buy a new TV from Currys PC World for £399, and wanted to pay over 12 months with Flexpay, at £30pm. However, my credit application was refused, apparently due to my Equifax credit report. I've gone to Equifax, and signed up for a free trial, so I can try to see what's wrong, and according to them, my credit score is "Excellent", with only 1 credit check over the last 12 months.

Does anyone know why I might have been refused? I've tried contacting Curry's, both by phone & Twitter, but cannot get through to them.

Obviously I don't want to keep applying, as I know that can have an adverse effect on my report, but does anyone know if I'm more likely to be accepted if I go for lower payments over a longer term, or higher payments over a shorter term?

Thanks for any advice!

Doug
Community Updates
What is Currys Credit?
Currys has a wide product range from TVs to home appliances such as washing machines or dishwashers. In order to purchase some of these products, customers can choose to pay in installments over a longer period of time with Currys flexible credit. Although it is important to note that Currys credit is not available for items for collection or order & collect.

By choosing this option to pay for your items, it means that the cost is spread over a time period between 12 and 36 months. Some may choose to pay the balance off monthly or you can deposit a payment whenever you like. Creating a “Your Plan” Currys credit account is handy since you can use this again if you want to pay for a Curry’s order using credit. There are also a host of benefits for those with an account such as promotional credit offers and interest-free credit.

51799_1.jpg
How to apply for Currys Credit

You can choose to apply for Currys credit before you even buy anything, there are three different methods of applying. So how hard is it to get credit at Currys?

• You can apply online before you buy anything, or you can apply online at the checkout, lastly, you can apply in-store.
  • All of these options require you to complete an application form and have an eligibility check, part of which is a Currys credit check. But Currys do state on their website that their eligibility check will not affect your credit score.
  • You will also have to show proof of ID as well as possibly authorising payment of £1.01 when completing an order.
  • Once all this is done and you have signed the agreement then you have successfully created a Currys credit account and can head to the Currys credit login.

Why was my Currys Credit declined?

Sometimes, even if you have the best credit score, you may be refused credit at Currys. You might think that this has got to be something to do with bad credit but sometimes it is due to other reasons. For example, relating to the information which you have provided on the form which you filled out. Also in the case of your Currys finance being rejected, it could also be due to your credit report rather than your credit score not being optimal.
New Comment

15 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    A lot of credit applications are on hold due to covid 19 as people are out of work and the Financial market is in uncertain times.
    NeoDoug129/03/2020 07:46

Ah, that might be it... That's annoying, as the TV i want is on sale at …Ah, that might be it... That's annoying, as the TV i want is on sale at the moment, and I missed it last time...

I would try one last time if desperate but online using PayPal credit from a different seller, as a lot of these credit rejections I've seen have been from curry's, it wouldn't surprise me if the problem isn't you but currys themselves (edited)
    Thinking at a tangent... have you looked at Very? They may have they same model. If you have not been a customer before you get a 10% discount on your first order. I doubt they will turn you down. Do the 'Buy now pay later' (you can pay it off as you go along) gives you the year to pay it off without interest.
    Hi fellow doug, have you recently moved house? I've seen on these forums a million different reasons why finance is rejected even a few for no reason whatsoever!
    As above I’d check curry’s own eBay store search model number or seller:currys_pcworld and scroll through all their adds
    They have to wait because they financial side. Everything gone boobs up because of the virus. China should be Holden to account for this. They knew in October about the virus. But covered it up till they knew it was another pandemic like sarrs
    It could even be the opposite and that you have too good a credit score. I have seen places specifically looking for sub-prime people at present (mortgages mainly) due to the rates being so low and them not making money via 'usual channels'.
    i used to always get refused for 0% finance options even though i didn't have problems with applying for credit cards. my brother tried as well and same thing so not sure where they are getting their credit history from. i got access to equifax and it doesn't say anything negative on there. i don't bother with these credit applications anymore as they are just a waste of time for me now.
    Author
    nopartylikeansclubparty29/03/2020 07:31

Hi fellow doug, have you recently moved house? I've seen on these forums a …Hi fellow doug, have you recently moved house? I've seen on these forums a million different reasons why finance is rejected even a few for no reason whatsoever!

Hello Doug!

No, I've been at the same address for 9 years now... 😞
    Author
    deleted228386929/03/2020 07:38

A lot of credit applications are on hold due to covid 19 as people are out …A lot of credit applications are on hold due to covid 19 as people are out of work and the Financial market is in uncertain times.

Ah, that might be it... That's annoying, as the TV i want is on sale at the moment, and I missed it last time...
    Author
    7ommy.7829/03/2020 09:00

As above I’d check curry’s own eBay store search model number or sel …As above I’d check curry’s own eBay store search model number or seller:currys_pcworld and scroll through all their adds

Unfortunately, the TV I'm after isn't available in their eBay store... 😞
    Author
    Ringfinger29/03/2020 09:22

Thinking at a tangent... have you looked at Very? They may have they same …Thinking at a tangent... have you looked at Very? They may have they same model. If you have not been a customer before you get a 10% discount on your first order. I doubt they will turn you down. Do the 'Buy now pay later' (you can pay it off as you go along) gives you the year to pay it off without interest.

I've just looked at Very (thanks for the tip!), but they don't have the TV I want... 😞
    I'm making a one-off payment but it keeps refusing my payment method through card, any ideas why? I've checked my bank and there isn't anything wrong in the settings...
    I got accepted for credit and got a credit limit. I placed an order well under the limit amd was accepted. I tryed to place a second order still totaled under my limit woth 1st order included and was declined. I don't understand why when I was accepted on one order and I am within the limit they provided me.
    Did you get any update on this? as the same thing has happened to me
's avatar