Posted 30 April 2022

Wild Bird Sunflower Hearts

Had a bit of a shock earlier as I went to purchase a 12.5kg bag of Sunflower Hearts from B&M. Most of last year these were around £13.99. In December the same 12.5kg bag was £17.99 and today I had to pay £22.99.
Who knows what it will be when I need my next bag!

So.. is there a cheaper supplier that I can use for a similar size bag?

Thanks
Community Updates
New Comment

14 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    You could grow your own sunflowers & get the seeds that way. 🌻
    You do realise all sunflower products have sky rocketed recently
    There Has Been an Increase in Sunflower Seed Demands

The adjustment includes less vegetable oil and more sunflower oil, thus reducing the trans fat content of their foods. This means that black sunflower seeds, used to make sunflower oil and feed the birds, have become highly demanded, driving up the price.
    deleted419730/04/2022 18:46

There Has Been an Increase in Sunflower Seed Demands The adjustment …There Has Been an Increase in Sunflower Seed Demands The adjustment includes less vegetable oil and more sunflower oil, thus reducing the trans fat content of their foods. This means that black sunflower seeds, used to make sunflower oil and feed the birds, have become highly demanded, driving up the price.

Somebody been on google
    We get ours from ebay and get 20 or 25kg usual about 33quid but as others have said they've gone up
    When I had a garden I always used Croston Cornmill for bird feeds.
    They were generally the cheapest but their sunflower hearts are now around £50 for 20kg.

amazon.co.uk/s?m…O7P
    There's the reason. 58% of global sunflower seed production is in Ukraine (no export routes) and Russia (sanctioned / Russia banned export of sunflower seeds).

47363984-pJOCy.jpg
    Author
    deleted228386930/04/2022 18:35

You do realise all sunflower products have sky rocketed recently

I didn't realise until I purchased the bag today
    Home Bargains also went from £2.99 for 1.5Kg I think to £3.99 this year, but Robert Dyas have 2 x 4Kg for £17 offer at the moment. So although people here seem happy to justify these price rises (bizarre on a shopping deals site and obviously not people buying them) they can still be sold for £2 a Kilo after all. (edited)
    On a slightly different note have you noticed now you can't get sunflower oil there's genetically modified soya bean oil all over the place disguised as veg oil.
    Author
    jak2230/04/2022 23:46

Home Bargains also went from £2.99 for 1.5Kg I think to £3.99 this year, b …Home Bargains also went from £2.99 for 1.5Kg I think to £3.99 this year, but Robert Dyas have 2 x 4Kg for £17 offer at the moment. So although people here seem happy to justify these price rises (bizarre on a shopping deals site and obviously not people buying them) they can still be sold for £2 a Kilo after all.

B&M still works out cheaper, as £22.99 divided by 12.5kg = £1.8392 per kg
    I’ve noticed a ridiculous price increase on nuts too
    16 March 2024: Amazon Leagrams are £23.89 for 20Kg = £1.19 per kilo.
's avatar