Posted 4 September 2018

Xiaomi Aqara gateway & Sonoff switches integration?

I have bought a Xiaomi Aqara gateway & a bunch of Aqara movement detectors & smart buttons. My plan was to link them to some Sonoff switches to turn lights on when movement is detected or the smart button is pressed. It looks like Home Assistant is the main way to do this but even though I think I am reasonably techy, my brain hurts after spending about 3 weeks trying to get my head round all the configuration needed for Home Assistant. I have connected my Aqara Gateway & Google Assistant account to Home Assistant and will probably be able to do the same for my Amazon Alexa account when I have a spare week. I just read that Home Assistant is about to start charging a monthly fee for access to their cloud service and I assume that this is necessary for the integration of the Aqara & Sonoff devices to work. I don't really want to go down the route of paying a monthly fee just to use my smart home devices. Is there another way to get these devices to integrate with each other? Or would I be better off selling the Aqara gateway & getting a SmartThings hub?

Thanks
Community Updates
New Comment

Categories

9 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    dwl9949 m ago

Thanks for this. If I flash the Sonoffs will they still work with the …Thanks for this. If I flash the Sonoffs will they still work with the ewelink app and will they still work with Alexa and Google Home?

No once flashed you can't use them with Ewelink anymore.
    With Alexa and Google home that depends if Home assistant integrates with Alexa and Google home ? , from memory it does so once flashed you would add them into home assistant and as long as Alexa's been configured it should work fine.
    But you need to check for yourself as I'm just going of my memory of it from a while back.
    But I do know once you've flashed another firmware onto the Sonoff you can't go back.

Why don't you just use the Xiaomi hub and find some ZigBee bulbs to work with it I'm sure it would be easier that way.
    Have you flashed the Sonoffs with the tasmota firmware ?
    Author
    That was one of the options I had looked at. Although I'm not very comfortable with the thought of attempting to do the required soldering. Would this get me any further forward with getting the Sonoffs to work with the Aqara gateway? (edited)
    The Sonoffs won't work with their original firmware installed they will only connect to their Ewelink app.
    So to stand any chance you're need to flash that firmware.
    I've flashed numerous sonoff switches now and not soldered any of them I just hold the pins in place whilst it flagged as it only takes about 10 seconds.
    I was originally going to set this up but with a raspberry pi , but instead I bought SmartThings and linked them to that so can't remember the process of adding them now.
    Author
    Thanks for this. If I flash the Sonoffs will they still work with the ewelink app and will they still work with Alexa and Google Home?
    Hello, I am equipped with xiaomi sensors and gateway as well as sonoff switches. I noticed in my home Chinese server a parameter marked experimental function. Inside, I saw that we could connect Ewelink to my home. But at home it does not work. Have you noticed or tried this feature?
    Connects but the device list is empty.
    Any idea why ?
    mine is empty too!?!?
    im also looking for solution...
    deleted215087318/12/2018 20:07

Hello, I am equipped with xiaomi sensors and gateway as well as sonoff …Hello, I am equipped with xiaomi sensors and gateway as well as sonoff switches. I noticed in my home Chinese server a parameter marked experimental function. Inside, I saw that we could connect Ewelink to my home. But at home it does not work. Have you noticed or tried this feature?

any news on this? i have the same problem
's avatar