Posted 13 March 2023

Your favourite crisps? (2023 UK edition)

I'll start:
Wotsits Crunchy flaming hot flavour
Doritos Chilli Heatwave
Max Strong Fiery Prawn Cocktail
Walkers Prawn Cocktail
Hula Hoops Big Hoops Barbecue Beef
Walkers Salt and Vinegar (when fancy it)
Community Updates
New Comment

107 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    Royston’s steak are god tier
    Author
    I remember when I first had these and quickly became my favourite at the time. Not too easy to find these days
    Walkers Max Strong Cheese and Jalepeno. 

They are the daddy but a beer is needed with them. 
    Author
    Very good choice sir
    Back when salt and vinegar were the correct colour

49761261-34Nk3.jpg
    Had to be paired with...49761348-J4csS.jpg (edited)
    Tomato Wheat Crunchies but they don't seem to be available anymore.
    Author
    Love these, yeh don't see them around. I remember they were tomato with a bit spices, were so good
    Tudor...

Thye're a canny bag

49755016-BkVKE.jpg
    Ohh Spring Onion! Used to love that one. I remember everyone (in the playground) went through a phase of buying chocolate-flavoured crisps (in the 1980s I think?), but I think most only bought it once as a curiosity.

Never seen the Mint Sauce, Sweet N Sour or Gammon & Pineapple flavours before. It's good that Tudor were willing to experiment with flavours.

Not sure if it's a UK thing, on the continent you tend to only see Paprika or Salted crisps and that's it! (edited)
    Salt & Vinegar Squares

Who else remembers putting empty crisp packets under the grill & shrinking them?
    Yes. 100%.
    I'm pretty sure cereal packets also included something called shrink-e-dinks or something like that which worked in the same way
    Mini mini cheddars if they count?
    I prefer Rizla, but the flavouring isn't evenly distributed...
    Smokey bacon
    Author
    Classic. Love these every so often. They are ideal for crisp sandwiches!
    Great thread
    Anything prawn cocktail flavour, especially walkers
    Author
    Agree, cannot beat them. Walker's Prawn cocktail flavour seem to have that special something other brands can't get.
    Pickled onion+Beef flavoured Spaced raiders (the soft crunch ones,not the hard crunch...if anyone gets me )

Max paprika
    Monster munch flamin hot
    Cheetos Flaming Hot
    salt and Vinegar walkers SQuares
    walked French fries salt and vinegar/cheese and onion
    cheese and onion Quavers
    Author
    Love Space Raiders, but just not enough in a pack! I love eating Walkers French Fries like a rabbit - numbling one really quick from the ends, so satisfying!
    49761266-jNaEn.jpg
    Co-op sea salt and Chardonnay - the absolute Rolls Royce of strip that skin from your mouth salt & vinegar crisps.

49771903-d2ZxS.jpg
    Author
    I can feel my gums quaking haevn't tried these so another to add to the list!
    Piper's Rosemary crisps.
    Mackies (most varieties)
    I absolutely love these abominations… But they are only out around Christmas time… I should have bought more!
    49828319-86d2w.jpg
    I miss the first Walkers BBQ crisps (Not the BBQ Rib ones)… Very similar to the Lays ones they have in the US…
    Author
    They sound really nice, defo would try them if saw them. Be funny to put them in a sharing bowl and see people reactions, they'd probably think they were cheese bites and a get surprise
    Tomato Snaps
    Seabrooks ready salted
    Nice and spicy nik naks
    Monster Munch pickled onion
    Author
    Nice choices all round. I love NikNaks especially scampi lemon. The Wotsits crunchy are similar texture but crunchier and slightly thicker, I fully recommend the flaming hot ones (not heard as good reviews for the chees flavour though)
    Boyf crunches up and sprinkles Flaming Hot Monster Munch on top of his chilli con carne. (I do like the Cheetos version).

Favourites:
    Cheese & Onion Ringos
    Pickled Space Raiders (yes, I know they're the cheapest of the cheap and have all sorts of weird flavourings but I like them)
    Flamin' Hot Crunchy Cheetos (Home Bargains tend to sell them)
    Discos - any flavour
    Tayto Cheese & Onion (also Home Bargains)

Wildcards:
    Golden Wonder Sausage & Tomato (loved that flavour for years, not easy to find)
    Snaktastic Cheese & Chive (from Lidl)

I went through a (regular Cheesy Puffs) Cheetos phase but I've eaten so many I think I've put myself off for life. (edited)
    Author
    I'd have any of your crisps, nice choices. I see the Ringos everywhere but actually haven't had some before, needs to get a bag at some point. Love Discos, their flavours are strong, feel like need to drink a lot of water afterwards
    steak flavour wotsits taste just like roast beef monster munch😋
    Author
    Both are great crisps!
    Walkers salt n vinegar
    Author
    Classic. Every so often I love crunching through a handful in one go (rather than eating one at a time) like a monster would but means the bag is finished too quickly.
    Doritos Flamin' Hot by far

Sadly discontinued

If anyone knows anything that tastes similar or how to recreate the flavour please PLEASE help out!
    I've had to switch to chilli heatwave Doritos, but they aren't the same.
    S&V McCoys
    S&V Walkers Squares
    S&V Tyrells
    Chilli Heatwave Doritos

I don't really deviate from my favourite flavour
    Have you noticed multipacks of McCoys now come in packs of 5 and are only 25g per pack now!?
    S&V is a good choice - have you tried Tayto S&V?
    Wotsits giants
    Monster munch pickled onion
    Tayto salt & vinegar!
    Author
    Don't think I've tried Tayto crisps, need to pick some up when I find some
    Cheatos twisted flaming hot
    Flame grilled steak McCoys
    Monster munch pickled onion and roast beef
    Wotsits
    Rib n saucy nik naks
    Cheese and onion walkers (edited)
    Author
    Nice choices, haven't tried the twisted cheetos need to give them a go. I remember when McCoy's used to be proper chunky potato'y crisps, now they are like Walkers Max. Miss the good old days
    Large bag of mini poppadoms
    My Mrs eats these. If you take a good sniff in the bag, it smells like farts.
    Walkers sweet chilli sensations
    Tyrells sea salt and cracked black pepper
    Loved the spicy bbq Pringles until they were discontinued last year!
    Author
    Walkers Sensations Sweet Thai Chilli were the bomb for a couple of years when they came out. My go to for crisps. Not sure what's happened to them but they don't seem to be as good as they used to be, is it just me?
    Tyrell's Naked (unsalted)
    I like my crisps to taste of potato.
    Have you tried Smyths? Or Walkers salt & shake?

tesco.com/gro…817
    Not sure if there is an equivalent in the UK but i love the Lays (walkers) Wasabi and Ginger - they are absolute beauts. Also the Chili and Lime Flaming Hot Doritos are decent.
    Author
    The Walkers Sensations Wasabi and Ginger really had that nose hurting feeling. In the past I had Brannigans ham and mustard crisps, they had that same nose hurting sensation but were so addictive, give them a go if you see them!
    Seabrook Scorpion Chilli......
    Author
    These are some fine crisps, no many can handle these. I can just about have an equivalent to a normal bag of these before my mouth says it needs a rest and my head is sweating. Probably one of spiciest crisps you can buy normally from a uk shop (I got mine from Lidl)
    Memories of sunny Greek holidays
    Lays Oregano flavour crisps absolutely scrumptious with a few black olives some Feta cheese
    and a chilled bottle of Amstel beer truly one of lifes little pleasures
    I do wish they sold that flavour over here in the UK
    Author
    Thanks for the recommendation, need to try them when abroad!
    Too many to choose from! Do try the new McCoys Spicy Salsa (or something like that) and Spicy cheese nacho ridge cut crisps though. They're both really nice!
    Author
    Cheers for recommendation, will try these out for sure, any spicy flavour will go on my list
    I do like Smyths - the one with the blue packet of salt you add yourself, but I haven't seen them for quite a while...
    Also Home Bargains sold a 1 kilo bag of generic ready salted IIRC - they disappeared once Covid hit and I haven't seen them since - they were perfect for movie night!
    Author
    Yeh haven't seen them salt n shake Smiths. I remember I use to not add much of the salt at first just to have the potato flavour but end up adding the salt to not waste it
    Pipers Great Berwick Longhorn Beef
    49761450-X1tSJ.jpg
    Bought bulk of Pipers during lockdown. The cheese ones were great.
    Walkers Max Strong Jalapeno And Cheese Crisps (Walkers)

Tesco's Salted crisps (Tesco)

Mackie's Scottish Potato Crisps (Lidl)
    Author
    Solid choices. The Max jalenpeno & cheese are a nice way to add spicy to cheesy flavoured crisps
    Tried these today...

49810940-GDowL.jpg
    While they're aren't life changing flavoured crisps, they are very nice and uncanny how much they taste like a Whopper burger. Worth a try.
    Author
    Interesting! I do like beefy flavoured crisps so these sound up my street
    Children's stuff in general (less fatty and thick... Frazzles! Monster Munch etc already mentioned. Garlic mini breads are nice too (a snack. I do like Lidl Lentil Curls as well. Technology not working well, excuse my grammar! May edit this. (edited)
's avatar