Posted 2 days ago

2 x Domain name renewals (2 years)

What is a fair price to pay for 2 x domain renewals for 2 years?

Any recommendations as to which provider gives the best deals?
Community Updates
New Comment

10 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    Generally Cloudflare / Porkbun who add zero or v little to core cost.

Beware of some cheap providers that charge additional fees to manage DNS.

Typical annual co uk should be around £4.50;
    com around £7.50
    especially from non-UK-based providers not adding taxes.

Some providers have incentivised first year reg - check renewal and/or moving costs.

Ionos include a free 2GB mailbox in single domain account registrations,
    although possibly of no benefit considering unlimited decent-quality lifetime multi-domain web&email hosting can be obtained from longstanding UK limited company at one-off £10-£40, typically currently £25
    How easy is it to switch?
    I have had a domain name from easyspace for years. I just use it to forward emails from domain mail to my personal email. If use to be all emails but about 5 years ago only allowed me 10 specific addresses. 
    Ideally would want to switch to a cheaper but reliable host to include all emails forwarded to my personal email. 
    Thanks for any assistance 
    There is a site tld list that just compares the cheapest. It depends on what domain you have as to the best price, but often Cloudflare is very competitive as they don't mark up above the standard wholesale price for any particular domain (but they are sometimes beaten).
    Author
    The company I’m with want £75 for two .co.uk domains for two years.

Would you pay that or move?
    Hi, that feels quite steep. I use Cloudflare Registrar and they charge $4.94 (about £4) per year for UK domains and they can be done one year at a time for that price.

I guess it depends if you're getting anything else for your £19 or it's just a basic domain registration. Some of them include advanced DNS, security certificates or basic hosting etc. as part of the domain fee. It's way too much for just a domain registration in my book, though!
    Just to confirm the maths there:
    total of four years (2domains x 2years) of co uk reg for £75, so £18.75 per renewal year?

Porkbun would charge equiv £4.47 (5.66 USD) for each renewal year so direct cost comparison total £17.88;
    so your choice to consider moving if total £17.88 seems more attractive than total £75.
    Also consider PB and other registrars may permit single year renewal (12months) rather than multi-year (24months) renewal,
    so PB cost could actually be reduced to total £8.94 for two co uk domains each renewed for one year.

Also prudent to factor / check if your current provider charges to release your co uk domains.
    Example: names co uk charge £10+VAT to facilitate releasing a domain.
    If it does, you can show that provider a single finger via moving it directly via Nominet for £10+VAT - possibly not cheaper than the provider cost to move, but will indicate your dissatisfaction with the provider's cheapshot moneyearner that other registrars do not charge.
    Author
    The maths are correct.

I’m not necessarily looking for the cheapest, but £75 is up £20 from 2022 and seems to be going up £20 every time I renew.

Which one of the two would you recommend as all I want is to run them as email addresses through Zoho mail?
's avatar