Posted 17 December 2023

Adbloc at router

Hi
Sometime ago, I had managed to find and make use of an online guide to apply and block at router level. This was for buffalo router that supported this type of function, I recall using opendns.

Now I had to reset the router and can not seem to find a useful guide to be able to achieve this .

The router supports ddwrt type firmware.

I am trying to do it again, so that I have a ssid which Is adblocked and safer for kids.

Can somebody help?

Thanks
Community Updates
New Comment

11 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    An alternative is to use dns servers from Controld.com (windscribe), which offer traditional dns servers with very well know AD filter lists. Openwrt supports dns over tls or https(or both) , so you can even personalise the lists and include an adult / gambling filter.
    PiHole is a much better way to achieve this although granted you need something always on to run it - I always have my server running so it's no extra effort for me, however I do appreciate that you would need always on hardware to run it.
    Author
    I have this router, that's why I thought I would make use of it, thanks for replying
    ...I noticed that many people were having success with DNS-level adblocking, so I thought I'd give it a try. So far I've had it running for about a week without issue and it seems to work pretty well.
    Here's how I did it in case anybody else might want to do the same thing...

forum.dd-wrt.com/php…605
    One way would be using an OpenWRT supported router and put AdGuard Home on it. You can do PiHole too but prefer the former.
    look for a cheap android tv box, put armbian on it and then run AdGuard Home on docker
    5v 2a so takes sweet fa in power too.....
    Author
    I have managed to achieve this...applied adguard DNS at shell supplied router...so far so good...if any one needs help .let me know
    Worth the effort?
's avatar