Posted 13 December 2023

Advice on getting a smart thermostat/heating system?

My house has the following:
A honeywell thermostat on the ground floor
A bosstherm thermostat on the top floor (which controls this floor's heating from the rest of the house)
A Siemens RWB9 which controls everything
A Patterton Suprema boiler

I got a Tado Wireless Smart thermostat starter kit. Based on what I read on the Amazon sales page, a wireless one seem the best choice. My plan was to replace the honeywell thermostat with the Tado wireless thermostat and keep the bosstherm one in use.

However, speaking to Tado customer support I seem to get different replies. Some support agents say I can use the Tado wireless thermostat to replace the honeywell and keep the bosstherm one in use. Other agents tell me that getting the wireless thermostat was a mistake and I need to get two wired ones to replace both the honeywell and bosstherm ones.

I am starting to get a little confused. Does anyone have experience with this type of set up? Thanks!
Community Updates
New Comment

1 Comment

's avatar
    I would say you need two wired or wireless ones, its up to you. This would then replace both the thermostats and the Siemens RWB9.

My folks, however have just got a wireless one to replace a wired one and we simply shorted the two cables going into the stat (effectively completing the circuit to supply an "On" signal to the wiring centre/boiler. The Tado wiring centre then has its only relay to control the signal to the boiler.

In your case, the wireless receiver part of the starter kit will replace the Siemens RWB9. You could keep that and just have it set to "On" but you may as well replace instead of having that daisy chained to the Tado receiver.