Unfortunately, this discussion is no longer valid
Posted 26 September 2023

AMEX Changed offer terms after my purchase and paid lower cashback

4206965-PIfaX.jpg
4206965-jqaES.jpgHi,
Looking for some advise here regarding an American Express purchase. I saved an offer for Hawes & Curtis which was 20% back with no mention of a limit, I double checked this before my purchase and took a screenshot. I went instore and made a large purchase. The purchase tracked and waited for the cashback to come through.

Amex sent out only £35 rather than the actual 20% on full purchase. I went back to look at the offer on my card and they have changed the Terms & Conds whilst the offer was saved to my card and added a maximum of £35 cashback.

I have attached some screenshots here. Is there anything I can do? I spoke to Amex Customer Service and they are saying they have simply updated the title, the terms & conds were always the same. I checked the terms & conds a few times as my purchase was going to be very large, and there was no mention of a maximum amount we could claim.

Thanks
Community Updates
New Comment

21 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    Could be worth putting a complaint in writing to the Department 333 address from here americanexpress.com/uk/…tml
    and mention that you checked the full Ts & Cs for any maximum amount, as that made a difference as to whether you were going to proceed with the transaction or not.

Then they have things they say they will do by 3 / 15 / 35 business days.

If their final response, after 35 working days (i.e. 7 weeks-ish) isn't what you want, then you could then go to the FOS, but hopefully it won't come to that.
    This is a good idea. Keep the complaint simple, factual and supported by evidence. My experience with Amex has been excellent over the last 20 years.
    Your screenshots don't show the actual terms and conditions, so unless you have that somewhere you're already out of luck as no proof.

But, if 100% sure you read all the actual terms and cons and there was no limit, it would be worth arguing with amex and the retailer to push it. Else as mentioned, possible return if allowed or online purchase distance selling regs will
    Author
    I didn't take a screenshot of the actual terms and conditions, but if you look at both the screenshots, it's clear they changed the title and the small print just below.
    Author
    I am 100% sure the terms and conditions didn't have the £35 limit. I must have read them at least 3-4 times, because this was the deal breaker for me.
    You are definitely correct and your screenshots clearly show that. I have seen them change active offers before from online & in store to in store only. I would definitely put in a complaint with Amex
    Author
    Something I forgot to check were my emails. When I did my shop at Hawes & Curtis they sent me a redemption email of my spend along with the full terms in the emails. Nothing stated about a max limit here either. See attached. 51071185-GhTxl.jpg
    Great, in this case you have exactly what you need.
    Do the terms and conditions say that the offer can be amended at any time? (or something similar)
    Author
    Nope nothing like that in there
    What was the item? Tell Hawes and Curtis you will return for a refund if they don't sort it out, they will say it's nothing to do with them but I reckon the threat of that will help nudge them.
    Author
    We brought a few suites but also had them adjusted, so not sure we can even return them. I would need to check with them
    They will give you nothing and customer service became a joke in recent years
's avatar