Posted 10 hours ago

Anyone sold a high end laptop on Ebay?

I want to sell my gaming laptop. I reckon its around the £700-£800 value. I've heard stories about people getting scammed on eBay when it comes to selling laptops. Anyone had any experiences selling and can advise.
Community Updates
New Comment

13 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    It’s usually immediately obvious if someone’s trying it on post-sale on eBay. You’ll usually get a message after a couple of days saying they’ve tried to pay and that eBay has messed up their end etc and can we work out another way of paying like PayPal F&F etc. 

It that happens just report it immediately to eBay and they’re surprisingly good in those instances. 

I’ve sold a few iPads, laptops and a desktop over the years and only had one properly bad meff who eventually disappeared into the ether once I said I’d reported them to the fraud squad (I have absolutely no idea how I’d have done this but the threat seemed to work!). 

When you send, make sure you’ve photographed every stage of the packing process, weigh the package on a set of scales at home and photograph that and also photograph it at the point of drop off. 

I’d also advocate using RM special delivery. It’s tracked all the way, and has to be signed for and I think photographed at the point of delivery. I’ve never had an issue with any of my parcels using Royal Mail so better to do this than cheap out to save a fiver. 
    Imagine yourself as a potential buyer. Would you buy an expensive used laptop from a stranger "cash on collection"? Maybe, if it was a real bargain, perhaps, but speaking personally I would never buy such a high priced item from a stranger; I would prefer to either buy new or a refurb from a recognised and respected outlet. If there are many others who share my view then the buyers you attract have to be regarded as risky - just my opinion. Perhaps I'm wrong and there are quite a few very honest, respected bargain hunters out there.
    Sold a XPS 15 couple of years ago for ~£600. The buyer had good feedback and didn't have any issues. Just check their feedback before shipping it. As long as you describe the condition accurately and send with tracked shipping with insurance, you should be fine.
    Author
    You can't pick and choose a low feedback person though can you? Or can you refuse to send even if they bought it
    Or sell as cash on collection 
    If you have Facebook, I’d list on Marketplace first. Cash on collection is safer, plus no fees.
    I've never sold anything of value on Ebay in well over a decade, everything goes on Facebook Marketplace now and before that it was Gumtree. Unsure if its still the same but if a buyer pays with PayPal they have 6 months to open a dispute and possibly return an item.
    EBay have reduced selling fees promotions…
    Wait for one of them.
    Until then get your photos looking the part and your description nice.

EBay can be either really pleasant or a complete nightmare.
    It really does depend on the “bidders” you get.
    Helios 300 gaming laptop for £1100, not a problem.
    Just make sure its a long standing buyer with 100% feedback, ideally with alot of buys and good few recent positives
    I recommend carefully packing it, then place it on the floor and jump up and down on it.
    Then have a bath with it, and place in the bin.
    Then you will not be back here in a week or two saying I think I’ve been scammed.
    Plus you won’t be outselling fees and postage both ways.

eBay is a no no.
    To much risk.
's avatar