Posted 1 April 2024

Best 120/144hz TV for gaming around £500 please?

Looking for a decent TV for use with Xbox series X that has 120/144hz refresh rate. Thanks in advance.
Community Updates
New Comment

4 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    I'd probably go for the TCL C80 For £450 Delivered from Costco (+£15 for an online membership if you don't have a card yourself already). Costco give you a 5 year warranty on it too. With a bit of playing around in the settings it will look stunning. Sound is decent but as with all TVs these days a soundbar will go a long way to improve things.

The built in smart TV OS runs like crap though. So if you want to use it as a TV too, get yourself a smart box or stick to plug into it instead.
    Author
    Thank you
    £399

It is the pro version which is 144hz Hisense (they also sell a 60hz model that has the same model number so be careful with that when comparing prices)

costco.co.uk/TVs…874
    Your going to struggle at or below £500. The vast majority of 4k TV's in that bracket are standard 50/60Hz, and are generally edge lit, with some being direct lit.

You definitely want either an OLED or an LCD with minimum direct LED backlight, but preferably either full array or mini LED and QLED if you can stretch to it.

For something that supports 120hz, you have a couple of choices.

Firstly you could get a TV that is 50/60Hz, but has a gaming mode that uses tech trickery to simulate 120Hz but adjusting the resolution and refresh rate on the fly so to speak. Several brands and models support this. Like TCL's c645k which uses a system TCL call DLG (dual line gate) technology. Some Hisense, Samsung and LG TV's support something similar. But I'd avoid it if your a big gamer.

Secondly you get a true 120hz TV with full HDMI 2.1 ports.

So for the lowest price to features ratio, you have to be looking at Hisense E7 pro (the standard e7 is 50/60hz). Or one of the Hisense U series U6K, U7, or U8. Or TCL c645k, c745k, c805 or the c845k.

Other than that it's more money and Philips Xtra, Samsung neo QLED qn80/85 or the QN90 series. Or if you want the best, a Sony x80 or x90L series.

I'd avoid LG's LCD's unless you can spend more as only 3 of them (qned866, qned90 and qned91) are decent. All the rest are mostly old style edge lit and are to be avoided. Other than those 3 it would be one of LG OLED's B or C series.

I think your best options are Hisense E7 pro, U6, U7 or one of the TCL c745 or c805's.
's avatar