Posted 11 January 2024

Best smelling/performance budget liquid laundry detergent

Must be own brand etc. Want to switch from expensive brands like bold and fairy…
Community Updates
New Comment

16 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    I found the supermarket own brands had too many bleaching agents and you end up with really faded clothes after a few washes.

Tried liquids too but had no joy and went back to fairy powder as it was the one which worked at low temperatures, gave a decent wash and didn't ruin clothes.
    I prefer powder. Read it was better for washing machines plus you can tailor the dose. Now some debate over whether it is good for the machine but it's not damaged mine.
    Haven’t bought branded for a long time, far too expensive. We buy supermarket liquid and find the clothes come out just as clean. I have no preference for a particular supermarket brand. I do find it interesting how apparently powder is meant to be better for your machine. I always thought it was bad for clothes as it doesn’t always wash out completely. Would like to know if thats true or not.
    I use powder and have no issues with it. I think it depends on the machine or brand of powder. I've been lucky.
    They posted last year's Which? test results over there:- netmums.com/lif…ket
    often amazon will do a s&s plus another voucher plus price reduction deal so it ends up being on par or cheaper than own brand for a branded product.
    Had a smell of the Ineos branded stuff in Morrisons yesterday. All non-Bio and was down to £4 a litre (is that cheap?). Smelt very nice with a variety of scents.
    Don’t know how good it is as I buy bio washing liquid.
    Liquid detergent seems the most efficient , it's in the drum working straight away, no waiting for powder and pods to dissolve. With low temperature and quick washes it has to be advantageous too. We use Persil , usually bought on Amazon offer, and have no problems with 30 degree faster cycles ( 30 and 59 minutes on our washer). Mother in Law never had any complaints using Aldi liquid in the same machine as ours, if we ever run out of our bulk buy supply may try that too
    I use Aldi bio powder for white/ light colour
    liquid detergent for dark colour.
    I don't like pod, they do not dissolve properly when I use dark colour programme.

BTW, Aldi floral tropical laundry liquid and non bio gel smell good
    I prefer powder detergent, the only time we've had a washing machine smell bad was when we were regularly using liquid detergent. One of the reasons for that is liquid detergents can't contain oxygen bleaching agents because they would breakdown the other ingredients in the bottle and destroy biological enzymes.

Powder detergents can include a much wider range of chemicals, because the ingredients are dry and they coat those that would otherwise interact. It can contain oxygen bleaching agents which kill mould and bacteria on the washing and in the machine and help clean the machine as well as removing stains.

Also the small amount of residue left in the machine from liquid detergents and fabric conditioner retains moisture, and serves as food and a medium for bacteria and mould to grow on.

You can of course buy lots of additives to make up for liquid detergents deficiencies, and you may want to avoid oxygen bleach when washing blacks and dark colours, or silk and wool.

Leaving the door and draw open between washes will also significantly reduce mould and bacteria growth.

If bacteria, lint, detergent and conditioner residue build up in the machine it can also cause significant corrosion of the aluminium spider, leading to premature failure.

I'm currently using Surf powder, got a couple of boxes from morrisons last week when they had it on offer for under 9p per wash.
    You don't normally put liquid detergent in the draw , we've always put it in a ball directly in the drum, so there is no way a residue can be left from that in the machine. Fabric conditioner is another matter, that does go in the draw and cause mould but you can use that with liquid or powder.
    Always had good results with liquid , powders and capsules don't always dissolve properly on cool or short cycles we encouraged to use nowadays. As I've said above. Think the powder being better is one of those 'Youtube' urban myths (edited)
's avatar