Unfortunately, this discussion is no longer valid
Posted 15 August 2021

Breville kettle funny taste

we have a breville kettle 1 week old and can't get rid of a strange taste to the water we tried bicarbonate soda but it still tastes funny any suggestions
Community Updates
New Comment

21 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    looks similar to our kettle. never noticed any funny taste except when we use a new water filter cartridge as we only boil filtered water to help reduce limescale on the kettle.

as someone suggested vinegar, you could try water with lemon juice. i use that to clean the kettle when there is limescale so it may be strong enough to remove any chemical on the kettle wall surface.

i half fill the kettle with water then add about 100ml of lemon juice into the water then boil it and leave the water sitting in the kettle until it cools down then pour it out. i have to do this a few times but once may work for you to get rid of the strange taste.

i only half fill the kettle as you get a lot of effervescence from the lemon juice when the water boils.
    Just keep going, my last and current kettles took a couple of weeks to get rid of the taste.
    If it tastes and smells a bit like TCP it's probably chlorophenol, I.e. chlorine in the water reacting with phenol compounds in the plastic.

Try filtered water for a bit until it settles down or even just leaving drinking water to stand in the fridge by itself reduces chlorine content.

Don't leave boiling water standing in the kettle and reboil, seems to concentrate the taste. Some people can't taste it so you can't always go by reviews from others. (edited)
    Author
    mutley115/08/2021 23:44

i personally wouldn't use vinegar as i would hate the taste of that in my …i personally wouldn't use vinegar as i would hate the taste of that in my water the lemon juice is probably more powerful than vinegar and it tastes nice anyway even if there is an after taste of lemon. i have not found any lemon after taste myself when i use it. i find the lemon juice is a good alternative to kettle descaler as that is a right faff cleaning the kettle with descaler.

Just made a brew after letting the kettle soak in lemon few hours cleaned it thoroughly after , and after making a cuppa it's tasting great no aftertaste at all so it worked I'm happy now not returning kettle
    few rounds of vinegar
    Skyblue2215/08/2021 19:22

It's stainless steel with a bit of plastic in for a window[Image]

Got that one and no issues drinking black tea can’t stand plastic taste but no issues with this one. If it doesn’t go away take it back.
    Skyblue2215/08/2021 23:29

Hoping the vinegar works when I get some the lemon idea sounds good , I …Hoping the vinegar works when I get some the lemon idea sounds good , I found this on breville website https://www.breville.co.uk/service-and-support/product-support/product-faqs/kettles/general/kettles-general-faqs-6.htmlTried it but didn't work

i personally wouldn't use vinegar as i would hate the taste of that in my water

the lemon juice is probably more powerful than vinegar and it tastes nice anyway even if there is an after taste of lemon. i have not found any lemon after taste myself when i use it. i find the lemon juice is a good alternative to kettle descaler as that is a right faff cleaning the kettle with descaler.
    Is there a load of limescale in it? Wonder if it's that?

if so. lemon skins in kettle, fill with water, boil.
    leave overnight.
    Next day, reboil. leave for a day.
    Third day, rinse out. clean ketle.
    Author
    samwants2save16/08/2021 13:48

Is there a load of limescale in it? Wonder if it's that?if so. lemon skins …Is there a load of limescale in it? Wonder if it's that?if so. lemon skins in kettle, fill with water, boil.leave overnight.Next day, reboil. leave for a day.Third day, rinse out. clean ketle.

Noticed a bit at the bottom today I've left it to soak in lemon thanks hope it does the trick for the taste
    Author
    mutley115/08/2021 23:44

i personally wouldn't use vinegar as i would hate the taste of that in my …i personally wouldn't use vinegar as i would hate the taste of that in my water the lemon juice is probably more powerful than vinegar and it tastes nice anyway even if there is an after taste of lemon. i have not found any lemon after taste myself when i use it. i find the lemon juice is a good alternative to kettle descaler as that is a right faff cleaning the kettle with descaler.

Left the kettle to soak in lemon juice I don't have any vinegar at home but have got some lemon juice so leaving it to soak hope it works thanks
    Skyblue2216/08/2021 14:45

Noticed a bit at the bottom today I've left it to soak in lemon thanks …Noticed a bit at the bottom today I've left it to soak in lemon thanks hope it does the trick for the taste

Just rinse out and boil a few false starts/ pour out etc before filling for your cuppa..last thing you want is your milk curdling cos the lemons havent washed out
    Skyblue2216/08/2021 19:56

Just made a brew after letting the kettle soak in lemon few hours cleaned …Just made a brew after letting the kettle soak in lemon few hours cleaned it thoroughly after , and after making a cuppa it's tasting great no aftertaste at all so it worked I'm happy now not returning kettle

good to hear

i find lemon is a good taste sanitiser
    Author
    mutley116/08/2021 22:10

good to hear i find lemon is a good taste sanitiser

Haha yeah tastes better then vinegar 😋
    Plastic internals? Some take a long time to get rid of the taste and some people can taste it for a while.

Get a stainless steel one next time. (edited)
    Author
    deleted7595315/08/2021 19:20

Plastic internals? Some take a long time to get rid of the taste and some …Plastic internals? Some take a long time to get rid of the taste and some people can taste it for a while.Get a stainless steel one next time.

It's stainless steel with a bit of plastic in for a window
    45396034-BGLP3.jpg (edited)
    had that for a while after first jab, went away after second
    Author
    gazdoubleu15/08/2021 21:20

If it tastes and smells a bit like TCP it's probably chlorophenol, I.e. …If it tastes and smells a bit like TCP it's probably chlorophenol, I.e. chlorine in the water reacting with phenol compounds in the plastic. Try filtered water for a bit until it settles down or even just leaving drinking water to stand in the fridge by itself reduces chlorine content.Don't leave boiling water standing in the kettle and reboil, seems to concentrate the taste. Some people can't taste it so you can't always go by reviews from others.

Tastes funny but no smell so don't think it's that
    Author
    mutley115/08/2021 20:52

looks similar to our kettle. never noticed any funny taste except when we …looks similar to our kettle. never noticed any funny taste except when we use a new water filter cartridge as we only boil filtered water to help reduce limescale on the kettle.as someone suggested vinegar, you could try water with lemon juice. i use that to clean the kettle when there is limescale so it may be strong enough to remove any chemical on the kettle wall surface.i half fill the kettle with water then add about 100ml of lemon juice into the water then boil it and leave the water sitting in the kettle until it cools down then pour it out. i have to do this a few times but once may work for you to get rid of the strange taste.i only half fill the kettle as you get a lot of effervescence from the lemon juice when the water boils.

Hoping the vinegar works when I get some the lemon idea sounds good , I found this on breville website
    breville.co.uk/ser…tml

Tried it but didn't work
    Author
    samwants2save16/08/2021 16:43

Just rinse out and boil a few false starts/ pour out etc before filling …Just rinse out and boil a few false starts/ pour out etc before filling for your cuppa..last thing you want is your milk curdling cos the lemons havent washed out

Lemon curd tea lovely
    Use ketchup or brown sauce normally makes things taste better and go down a bit easier.
's avatar