Posted 18 January 2024

Broadband Coverage Help

Hey everyone, I recently signed up to Community Fibre with advertised speeds on 1gb. The router is downstairs in the living room and I’m getting solid speeds of 700mb+ downstairs. However, as soon as I go upstairs - the coverage and speed is really poor. Barely getting 40mb! Feel like I’m gonna get rid and go back VM. Any advice on how to improve coverage and speed?
Community Updates
New Comment

Categories

6 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    Is the router they provided any good? If it's a half decent model, then simply make sure it's in a good position without anything around it to block signals or cause interference, ideally quite high up in the room.

Once you've done this, try changing the WiFi broadcast channel with the aid of an app like WiFi Analyzer to see which channels are the least congested where you live.

If you have done that with no luck, then the next option would be to either get a good quality router of your own, or get a mesh system to boost the coverage throughout your house.

ISPs don't tend to guarantee speeds over WiFi though. So no matter what you do, try not to get fixated with the idea of getting the full gigabit speeds throughout your home wirelessly. If anything needs superfast speeds it's best to wire it in to the router directly.
    This is good advice. Thickness and material of walls, distance from router, objects in the way, channel overlap from neighbours, the device WiFi chipset capability etc all affect coverage and speeds.

Change your WiFi channel from auto to a fixed channel on 5Ghz, and set channel width to 80 MHz, or 40Mhz if WiFi is crowded in your area (use app mentioned above to see congestion). Do the same for 2.4Ghz and set channel to 1, 6 or 11 and change width to 20Mhz.

Turning your WiFi power to max isn't always helpful either, you might see full bars on your device but the device needs to be able to communicate back, it can't do that effectively if it's getting drowned out in noise.

ISP provided routers are mostly rubbish in my experience, I always use my own router paired with a couple of access points. Look into Ubiquiti, TP-link Omada access points.

Don't be too fixated on speeds, stability and low latency/packet loss are important.
    Author
    Thanks for the advice - will try these tips you’ve given. Will let you know how I get on. The WiFi router is a Linksys Velop.
    which model?
    You could probably get mesh system?