BT changes mobile and broadband price rise policy

Abandons mid-contract price rises linked to inflation :
bbc.co.uk/new…514
Community Updates
New Comment

7 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    In the summer - ie. after the forthcoming spring rise - ie. when inflation should be back to normal anyway and likely replaced with arbitary increases, like Sky do, which can often be more than inflation in any case.
    Mostly window dressing, it will just be built in now upfront to show an artificially flat number. Frankly, the inflation + 3.9% nonsense was never justifiable but like most regulators in UK, OfCom is toothless and more worried about bad ads than protecting consumers.
    Hopefully others will follow 
    The root cause has always been the culture of funding up front discounts through overcharging elsewhere or when.

That's what needs to be tackled if you want to stop that behaviour. If this particular wheeze is shut down then a different one can be found easily enough. (edited)
    I for one, prefer the % price increase. Putting a £ figure is going to lead to higher price rises.

Ofcom is being too clever. If they really meant consumer protection why not include both % and £figure price rise. Being told a £4 price rise for a prior £25/month is less meaningful for people like me who don't even remember my regular monthly amount.
    BT are the only company I have been with that keep paying me £5 a month and I haven't been a customer for 3 years! Not got a bad word to say about them lol
    Am I being thick or are those of us who get sub £10 sim only deals being conned?

inflation is at 4% + 3.9% arbitrary increase so call it 8%.

if price increase are kept at CPI + 3.9% (so 8% increase) it would mean 80p per month

Instead under this new ‘fairer’ way, the increase is going to be almost double at £1.50.

Also I find it offensive that the BT guy says its only a cup of takeaway coffee. Not all of us splurge on takeaway coffee.
's avatar