Posted 24 January 2024

Budget front & rear dashcam that is easy to fit

Hello, I have been contemplating a dashcam for a little while and someone at work was recently the victim of a “cash for crash” insurance fraud case - he didn’t have a dash camera to prove his side of the story, so now I to pushed me now to get one for myself.

Ideally I’m looking for one that is easy to install myself and covers both front and back windows but also had auto detection for motion when parked up.

I have an older car which doesn’t have a usb port but one of the car power socket things so don’t know how it works.

Budget of up to £50 but willing to go a little over if needed.

All information and recommendations are appreciated.

Thanks
Community Updates
New Comment

5 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    MyMemory will shift you two Proofcams including 8GB memory cards for total £17.99 delivered.
    Powered from 12V accessory socket (ciggy lighter).
    All the usual features including auto on/off with ignition, 720p/1080p selection (arguably upscaled), auto-overwrite when storage full, date+timestamp on/off, motion detection (5 sec segments), G-sensor, file lock, audio record on/off, etc
    mymemory.co.uk/pro…tml

Multiple deal threads for this model that always go hot unless a discount code expires:
    hotukdeals.com/sea…cam

Powering the rear cam may be problematic if no obvious 12V accessory socket available.

Is it the best option if you must spend £50? Possibly not, but difficult to beat at two for under £18 delivered with inclusive storage cards,
    and if nothing else it serves as a comparison to more expensive options that may not offer any significant benefit / improvements and may not include storage card(s).
    Considering your needs, check out the Apeman C860. It covers both front and back, easy DIY install, and has motion detection. Fits into your car power socket. Priced around £55, slightly over your budget, but it's solid for the features.
    Pelsee P1 Front and Rear, 2K/1080P Dual Car Camera for Cars, Built-in Wi-Fi,1.5” IPS Display Mini Dashcam,Night Vision,Voice Control,24H Parking Mode,G-Sensor

52054984-8atz0.jpg
    amzn.eu/d/0…Opv

£69.99 with promotion applied

52054984-2Yy3j.jpg
    Obviously it's a budget camera but seems a reasonable price with plenty of youtube videos to watch about it too.
    Unless you cig lighter is powered all the time you won’t be able to record while parked for that you’ll need a proper hardwire kit.
    The hilarious op-man for the prev mentioned sub-£9 Proofcam indicates its motion-sensed 5-seconds recording is powered by the cam's internal battery - it even states it's good for total of 50mins recording time chunks when not powered by cig lighter.
    Activating the motion-sense recording feature appears to be manual prior to normal power-off though,
    which questions the practicality of the feature for that specific model / configuration.
's avatar